Will Tummy Tuck Remove Scar Near Belly Button?

I have a horizontal 5-6" scar across my stomach about a 1/2"-1" above my belly button, from 2 pregnancies with c-sections. Would a Tummy Tuck be possible with this? Will the scar be removed, or at least be reduced to one scar (placement of new tummy tuck scar is not an issue)?

Tummy tucks and abdominal scars

+2

The scar will most likely be moved down with a tummy tuck. From your photo, it appears as though you would be a good candidate for a tummy tuck where the belly button is separated from the abdominal wall and moved down. This will help to eliminate the scars around the belly button associated with a full tummy tuck. Also, during the procedure the scar will be lifted up from the abdominal wall and may help to soften it and make it appear less noticeable.

Scar removal after tummy tuck

+2

After reviewing your picture it is unclear to me what you are referring to as a scar above your belly button. I see what looks like a 5 inch fold, but not a scar. Did you have a surgical procure or trauma to this area?

If it is a fold it can be improved with a tummy tuck. This is a common deformity following pregnancy. I recommend that you seek a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to evaluate wether there is enough loose skin to perform a tummy.

If it is indeed a scar, than a tummy tuck is much more risky.

Hope this helps.

Michael Diaz, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Scar Placement and Tummy Tuck

+1
Scars that are BELOW the belly button can be easily removed with a tummy tuck procedure. This replaces the scar with a very low horizontal scar beneath the bikini line.
Scars ABOVE the belly button are unable to be removed, and in some cases, can actually prevent the possibility of a tummy tuck altogether. This is because the scars may cut off blood supply to the abdominal skin and have a high risk of wound problems at the new incision.
I would recommend a scar revision procedure in addition to a mini-tummy tuck to improve the appearance of your tummy.

Adam J. Oppenheimer, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Scars above the belly button and tummy tuck.

+1
It will probably not be possible to remove your scar at the time of a tummy tuck as it so high (upper abdomen in location). One option would be to have one scar but unfortunately it would be located in the lower tummy but above your panty level, so still visible. What is very important is that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon as the presence of this scar may intefered with the blood supply keeping the skin below it healthy after a tummy tuck which can result in a loss of skin. Please discuss these issues with your surgeon

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Tissue fold vs scar above belly button

+1

Thank you for the question and the photo.  If the indentation above your belly button is a soft tissue fold then it will go away with a full tummy tuck.  If your indentation above your belly button is an actual scar then your tummy tuck procedure will have to be modified since an incision above your belly button in that location will have interrupted the blood supply from the right side of your rib cage to the soft tissue around the right side of your belly button.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Scar on the abdomen prior to a tummy tuck

+1

most surgeons will proceed with a tummy tuck even with the scar you have in your upper right abdominal area. Some limited release of its attachments to the underlying tissues can be performed but not completely as it is from that area where the needed blood vessels come that are going to help the tummy tuck incision heal. I do not think the scar will be removed, it will be displaced downward, closer to the mid abdomen/ belly button area, but it will not like as folded over.

Julio Garcia, MD

Scar removal with tummy tuck

+1

Hi there-

In most cases, a well-planned and executed tummy tuck WILL remove abdominal scars from prior surgery. The variables involved would include the location and size of the scar, the quantity and quality of the remaining abdominal tissues, and the planned operation.

The only way to be able to answer this question for you accurately and responsibly would be to examine you (allowing me to get a feel for the tissues and what would be possible). 

Find a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and visit for a consultation.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Feasibility of Tummy Tuck with a Scar above the current Belly Button

+1

If the transverse fold in the right upper quadrant of the tummy is a scar not just a fold, the Tummy Tuck scar would have to be placed higher than normal (meaning greater visibility) to allow safe removal of this scar.

Scars in the upper quadrants of the tummy skin are associated with a poor blood flow. If left alone, the areas of the remaining tummy skin below them will not be properly perfused and the area will likely die with wound separation.

You should consult several plastic surgeons (start with www.PlasticSurgery.org) to get their opinions. This way you will really learn all your options.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea

Removing scar with abdominoplasty

+1

The scar you have would be easy to incorporate in an abdominoplasty if you had a significant amount of skin superiorly. It appears, however, that you do not. Therefore, removal becomes harder. The way to end up with only one scar (and, incidentally, reduce the possible complications from the surgery) is to make the scar part of the superior incision.

One would then pull the undermined (loosened) upper abdominal skin down. The inferior incision would then be wherever the upper incision came to. This would elevate the transverse scar from the usual position for most abdominoplasties. You would not be able to hide it with a teensy-weeny bikini, but you could hide it with a fairly small two piece.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon