Did I Affect the Final Result of my Rhinoplasy During One Week of Smoking and Sun Exposure 11 Days Post Op?

The day of my cast removal my nose looked small, however the day after when i traveled i started to smoke and i had sun exposure every day in the beach and sometimes my nose really swells after the sun. Fortunately after my one week vacation i stopped smoking and stopped going out in the sun so i am worried i damaged my results because i have more swelling in one side so my nose appears a little bit assymetric. I am 4 weeks post op and I had medial and lateral osteotomies endonasally.

+1

You should be examined by your surgeon, and you should explain your actions to him or her.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Your nose could die and fall off.

+1

Well, not really, but what were you thinking? That circulation for healing was no longer necessary? Or that a mostly numb nose could be safely sun-exposed when there is reduced or absent protective sensation?

I'm sure your surgeon would be appalled, and you should be rightly concerned that your results could be compromised. There is a reason your surgeon told you to avoid smoking for AT LEAST 2 weeks before and after surgery.

Asymmetry can be the result of more scar tissue on one side as compared to the other, and this may be more related to excessive vacation activity than sun or tobacco. None of which are good, BTW, this early after surgery.

Talk to your surgeon; s/he will need to examine you to see if there is any permanent damage. You spent good money, time, and effort to obtain improvement in your nose, and I'm sure your surgeon expended maximum effort to achieve your desired results. Why do stupid things and ask if you may have ruined your result? Perhaps you think it's OK to join a fight club? No; so why would you think smoking and sun exposure is "no problem" when we all specifically advise against this? I truly hope you consider your ongoing choices more carefully. Good luck. Dr. Tholen

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/face-procedures/nose-surgery

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon