I Have Developed Brown Pigmentation Around my Aerola - Years Following my Breast Augmentation?

I had a breast lift (with implants) in 2006. During my pregnancy my husband and I noticed that I had developed brown pigmentation around my areola. If I had discolouration before, it must not have been as dark until I became pregnant. I looked up some information online & read that sometimes womens scars, or aerolas can hyper pigment during pregnancy & that this would eventually go away. My daughter is now 3 years old & the pigment is still there. Who should I see - a dermatologist or a surgeon ?

Brown Pigmentation Around Areolas Is Normal After Pregnancy

Hi,

It is normal to have brown pigmentation around your areolas during and after your pregnancy.

As every patient is different, some could have the pigmentation lightens while others don't.

Nonetheless, visiting a dermatologist could be a good idea as I am not able to confirm the nature of the brown pigmentation you have described without photos and physical examination.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian