Possible to Develop a Seroma 6 Weeks Post Tummy Tuck?

I had a mini tummy tuck 8 weeks ago. I wore my compression garment for a 6 week period. Before(with the garment) it was well contured and the skin was connected to my body. I was pleased and so was my doctor. Now with 1 1/2 week of removal of the garment I noticed my skin is more flabby and jiggly. Like jello. This kind is dishearting. Not sure if I have sermona or leftover inflammation.

Seroma occurring 8 weeks following a tummy tuck

+1

It sounds like you did what you were instructed to do in the postoperative period. Even when fully following prudent recommendations seromas can occur. Without an examination, one can't specifically diagnose this as a fluid accumulation. You should be evaluated immediately by your plastic surgeon. If it does turn out to be a seroma, then aspirations would be indicated.

YES IT IS POSSIBLE

+1

It is possible to have a serome after giving up pressure garment.

If it has happened,it may need drainage.Your surgeon can tell you after examining you.

Anup Dhir, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Seroma 6 weeks after mini-tummy tuck is a distinct possibility.

+1

You didn't say if you had a drain after surgery or not, but wearing a compression garment for 6 weeks after surgery is a very dedicated and compliant patient! A drain for a short period of time post-op may have increased the tendency for your tissues to adhere and heal together without fluid or blood collecting, but if you didn't have a drain and instead religiously wore compression, you could have had a minimal seroma that was "concealed by the compression" of your garment or binder, and now that it is off, the incompletely-healed pseudobursa is (may be) now collecting fluid.

Bottom line: instead of worrying, go see your surgeon and he or she can easily tell if there is a seroma that needs tending to. Aspiration (with a needle through a numb area--no pain) can effectively drain any fluid in this psuedobursa cavity (this may need to be repeated several times), or perhaps a drain needs to be inserted (local anesthesia--not a big procedure). Either way, your surgeon has dealt with this many times, and knows what to do!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Seroma 6 weeks after tummy tuck

+1
It is possible to have a seroma at this point, especially because you have recently stopped wearing your garment. If a seroma is the problem and it is caught early, it can be drained through the skin. You need to see your plastic surgeon and have him/her take a look.

Nia Banks, MD, PhD
Washington Plastic Surgeon