Travel 5 Weeks After Abdominoplasty?

Can I have a full tummy tuck and travel (for a month) 5 weeks after the surgery? Would I be able to wear a bathing suit 5 weeks post surgery? If I will still be swollen and uncomfortable I may opt to have the surgery at another time.

When Can I Travel After a Tummy Tuck?

+4

Dear esb,

Unfortunately, there is no way to definitely answer your question. Traveling five weeks after a tummy tuck will be ok for most patients if the postoperative recovery goes smoothly and you are not planning to do a lot of strenuous activities. However, a few factors could make traveling more difficult or even inadvisable: (1) if a complication such as delayed healing occurs, the recovery process may be slowed down, and additional care may be required; (2) if a late complication occurs while you are traveling (albeit rare), it may be difficult to find the proper care abroad; (3) it may be difficult to carry luggage or perform strenuous activities because the abdominal muscles may still be sore following surgery.

Larry Fan, MD

Recovery and Travel after Tummy Tuck / Abdominoplasty

+3

You an travel as early as two weeks after a tummy tuck but you are not allowed to lift anything more than 20 lbs for the first 6-8 weeks. you will continue to have swelling for 2 months after surgery depending on your activity level. you can jog about 3 weeks after surgery.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Abdominoplasty Recovery

+2

At 3 weeks after you tummy tuck you wounds are 90% tensile strength.   At this point I let and encourage patient to do whatever they want and have zero limitations.   Your will be fine.  I believe in early and aggressive activity after surgery with a walk dont run start on the eve of surgery. Slowly and gently I have patients to 100% at 3 weeks.   Unless you have some extreme requirements of using mesh to close a hernia etc you should be very fine at 5 weeks.  When in the plane stay active and walk.  never curl up in a plane seat for longer than an hour.  In 30 years I have had zero blood clots, venous thromboses, or pulmonary emboli in my patients.  I have never regreted my aggressive activity plan and patients love it.  At times patients get back to work in 6 days after a major tummy tuck.  Ask your surgeon.  My best,  Dr Commons

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Not recommended to take 1 month vacation 5 weeks after a tummy tuck

+2

If you want to take minimum risk, enjoy your vacation and not have restrictions, you should consider postponing your tummy tuck until after you return from your month long vacation. Yes, it is theoretically possible to go on such a vacation 5 weeks after surgery but there would be some restrictions of activities including heavy lifting, typically until 8 weeks following surgery. If you did experience some issues and were either out of the country or in a somewhat remote area, that could be problematic for you. A shorter vacation such as a week would be more doable and prudent.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Maybe

+2
Anything is possible, but it all depends on you. Are you skinny and this is just tightening the skin? Your best bet is to ask the surgeon operating on you, not doctors who have never seen you.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Travel five weeks after tummy tuck

+2

Travel is possible, though if the trip and swimming etc. are important to you the tummy tuck probably should wait until after. A month long trip may be a bit too ambitious.

peterejohnsonmd

Travel after tummy tuck

+2

Not an easy question to answer because it depends on your healing process and everyone heals differently.  The short answer is that your probably should wait till after your trip to do this.  You need to give your body some time to heal and nothing should compromise that.  

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Travel 5 weeks after tummy tuck

+2
Every patient is a bit different in how they heal. I generally don't let patients do any heavy exercise or lifting for 6 weeks after surgery. It may be ok to take a short trip somewhere not so far away, but I wouldn't advise planning a major trip to some far off destination. It's hard to say exactly how you are going to feel, and everyone is a bit different in their recovery. You have to anticipate things like carrying luggage. And, should you have an issue, you don't want to be too far away as it is still relatively soon after your surgery. While you will still be somewhat swollen at 6 weeks, and your scar may still be red, you should be able to hide the scar under a swimsuit, and you will probably still feel better about how your body looks 5 weeks after a tummy tuck than you did before it!

B. Aviva Preminger, MD

Travel 5 weeks after abdominoplasty

+2

Most people are doing very well 4-6 weeks after tummy tuck.  That being said, most people are still  a little swollen and the incision line is still red, and your bathing beauty body may not be ready for its inaugural exposure, in which case you should select your bathing suit well.  If you are traveling to a vacation home  you should be fine. On the other hand, I would caution against  4 weeks of travel to a warm climate, shortly after a tummy tuck.  You may not be up to rigorous sight seeing  and long days, or even up to a very long flight. 

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Traveling five weeks after tummy tuck

+2

"When can I travel"  after cosmetic surgery is a common question and has to be individually applied.  This depends on a few factors.  Where are you going, i.e. how far from home.  What are you planning to do? Lie on the beach or go climb Mount Everest?  How long are you going to be gone?  (for you a month.)

As you are planning a month long trip, I would not recommend a tummy tuck 5 weeks prior unless you are going to be traveling to a close location.  If you have an issue, and can not get back to your surgeon, you are going to have a hard time getting someone to take care of any issues, and you are going to be looking at more out of pocket expense.  Typically, insurance will not cover complications of cosmetic surgery, and any other surgeon is certainly going to bill you for care after your operation.

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon