I Need a Hip Replacement. Should I Do It Before I Have My Tummy Tuck?

was scheduled for a tt after losing 55 lbs. am 195lbs and 5"5. Have a large frame and look good 165-175. was having terrible hip pain now just found out i need hip replacement. What should I do first?

Have your hip replaced first, then when you're ready, have tummy tuck!

+2

You should do what needs to be done before what you want to be done. I know, it seems seductive to consider that losing some abdominal weight via tummy tuck will "make it easier" on you replaced hip, but you really won't lose that much additional weight with the tummy tuck, and once you have your ailing hip replaced, you will be better able to recover properly after tummy tuck. If you decide to do tummy tuck first, then your hip make make early ambulation and activity more painful, increasing your risks of deep venous thrombosis (blood clots), pulmonary embolus, or even death. Though these risks are small, why take any chance when they are avoidable?

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Hip replacement first

+1

It seems to me that you are on the right track toward loosing weight and trying to improve your shape.  You now have a joint problem that need to be addressed. It necessary that you deal with the hip problem first.  this would definitly improve you mobility and possibly loosing more weight and after tummy tuck were you need to mobilize early after surgery. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Hip replacement prior to tummy tuck

+1

Dear Kpintili,

I recommend undergoing  your hip replacement before a tummy tuck as you weigh might fluctuate after the hip replacement. Abdominoplasty is a purely elective procedure and even though the results might make you feel better about your body image, you should proceed with with a more medically indicated procedure.

K. Jacob Cohen-Kashi, New York Plastic Surgeon

Kambiz Jacob Cohen-Kashi, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Hip replacemetn prior to tummy tuck

+1

I would definitely recommend getting your hip replacement first. Yo may lose more weight after being more mobile; this will give you a better result for your tummy tuck.   Also, you will be able to get up and move around better after your tummy tuck; this will speed your recovery and decrease the change of a blood clots.

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck when in the best shape

+1

Hip replacement should take precedence over a tummy tuck, and the delay may allow you to lose some additional weight. Your mobility will be better and your recovery more pleasant if you are able to be up and walk free of pain.

peterejohnsonmd

Hip Replacement Before Tummy Tuck

+1

I would definitely recommend undergoing your hip replacement prior to your tummy tuck.  This should allow you to be more mobile after your tummy tuck which is important in preventing DVT and thromboembolic events.  It might also assist you in losing another 25-30 pounds before the tummy tuck which would improve your result.

John Whitt, MD