Dent on Side of Nose After Rhinoplasty? (photo)

Im 3 weeks post op and my surgeon stopped taping my nose so when I got home I noticed I had a dent on the right side of my nose towards the top my nose near my eye it looks abit pinched and theres a slight shadow there I also havn't been able to breathe out of that nostril since the op it's completely blocked. Please help Im not seeing my PS for another few weeks. What does this mean im upset that it's collapsed or will it eventually even out?

The indentation on the side of your nose after Rhinoplasty Surgery may improve with time.

+2

I read your concerns and reviewed your photo:

You appear to have a nice result, and this indentation is not very conspicuous on the photo you provided. This may resolve over the next month or so as your swelling continues to resolve. If it persists, you could consider an Injectable Filler treatment. My experience and preference is with Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results.

It's unlikely that this indentation is contributing to nasal obstruction, as it's location is far above your nasal airway.

Hope this is helpful.

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dent on Side of Nose

+2

Temporary swelling will contribute to the dent you see, but as others have stated this is probably related to the osteotomy which is done to reposition the nasal bone. Nasal obstruction does occur after rhinoplasty surgery and probably is not related to your dent. You say that you're not seeing your plastic surgeon for several weeks but there is nothing we can do over the internet. I suggest you contact your surgeon. 

Dent Right Side of Nose 3 weeks post rhinoplasty

+2

Hi,

This is probably due to swelling. Give it some time, at least 3 to 6 months. You could also ask your surgeon about massaging the area to help the swelling subside.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Dent on side of nose and blockage

+2

I agree with Dr. Kim. It appears the ostotomy is off. This and the blockage may correct itself with time. Why cant your doctor see you. Part of our job is to get you thru the surgery and make you emotionally comfortable 24/7

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Dent on the side of the nose may improve

+2

The dent on the side of your nose is likely due to an osteotomy, or bony cut in the side of the nose that is usually intended to close an "open roof" after hump reduction or to make the nose straighter. If it is suboptimally placed, then a flail segment of bone can potentially block the nasal airway.

Since you are early in the healing process, there is a chance that both the dent and the obstruction will improve. You also reported that you are not seeing you plastic surgeon for another few weeks. I believe that good surgeons are those who have an "open door" policy with their patients in that you should be able to call his/her office and get another appointment between now and then to discuss your concerns.

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dented Side Of The Nose After Surgery

+1

The dent you have described is barely showing with the photo you provided.

That said, you have to be a little more patient since you are at about a month post-op.

Your nose will be changing and recovering before you establish your final results at  a little more than 12 months in your case because you have a think nasal skin.

I recommend saline nasal spray to be used to help clear your right nostril to help with your breathing. If your breathing issue persists, then consulting with your surgeon is advised.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to  you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Dent

+1

The dent is probably swelling around your surgery.  The bony portion of your nose may have been manipulated too.  Follow-up, ice and time should help!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon