How Long Does Nasal Mucosa Take to Heal?

Recently I had open rhino and septoplasty operations. Everything went well until a few weeks later when I started having severe nose bleeds and had to rush to the emergency room twice. Turns out I had a case of epistaxis. The last ENT told me my nasal mucosa had worn away or something, and that I'd need to keep it moisturised at all times with sinus rinses and topical ointments. How much longer does this need to be kept up? What is the best remedy?

Bleeding after nose surgery

+1

I’m sorry for your troubles, but it’s very difficult to make a firm determination without seeing you.  If your nasal mucosa is dry, it certainly would behoove you to keep it moisturized.  Also, you may have an intranasal prominent vessel which needs attention.  However, it’s very difficult to answer these questions without a complete history and visual examination. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Bleeding After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Jarred,

Epistaxis (nose bleeding) is often caused by dry nasal mucosa when it takes place after a rhinoplasty. Following the ENT instructions keeping the nasal mucosa moist will solve your problem and will accelerate your recovery process quite well.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Best of wishes.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Dry, dry, dry

+1

Epistaxis is a fancy word for nose bleed and there are many issues regarding the cause of epistaxis.  If the Head & Neck Surgeon said that your nasal mucosa is dry, keep it moist as directed because a dry nose takes forever to heal.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bleeding after rhinoplasty

+1

The nose can indeed dry out after surgery. Nasal moistuizers help until the mucus membranes are healed in a few weeks

Richard Ellenbogen, MD