I'm a Dancer. How Long Should I Wait to Go Back to Work After Rhinoplasty?

Considering that I be careful to not have it come into contact with anything? I don't do pole dancing, so I wouldn't have to worry about any possible injuries there...but worried about what's an appropriate time to wait for this type of occupation because there is moderate contact.

Time off Work Rhinoplasty

+1
Each physician have different guidelines regarding post operative care. Typically, light activity can resume 5 to 7 post surgery. Residual swelling that can take 6 to 12 months to resolve but not noticable to the general public. Consult with your surgeon regarding your case as he or she will know the scope of surgery and the specifics about you.

I would wait at least two weeks

+1

If you are having a rhinoplasty where there is a fracturing and repositioning of the nasal bones, I would definitely wait at least two weeks. If the only work your having done is cosmetic work on the tip, is a likelihood you may return earlier. The final decision is up to your surgeon. He will determine when the nose is stable enough.

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Rhinoplasty post operative care

+1

you can generally start activities 3 weeks after surgery    sometimes sooner but the bones, if broken, are not completely healed for 12 to 16 weeks so they may get sore or continue to feel tender

Time off after rhinoplasty

+1
i am conservative in these matters and would advise that you not work as a dancer for a month after surgery. Even though you will be careful, others may not be and accidents can happen. i don't think you'd want to damage the result because of an unexpected "bump". Generally, patients with desk jobs return to work one week postoperatively without problems but for those in active professions, I recommend a longer recuperative period to avoid complications.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

+1

Without any nasal protection, like a clear plastic face/nasal shield, I would recommend at least 6 weeks. But best to ask your treating surgeon. 

Rhinoplasty and dancing

+1

I usually tell my patients to limit aerobic activities for about 3-4 weeks, and be careful about gettting hit in the nose. It takes about 6 weeks for things to solidify well enough to go back to vigourous acitivity.

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and IMHO, you should avoid all strenuous activity and contact to the nose for 1 month.  This would include dancing.

Dancing after rhinoplasty

+1

I think it's forward thinking of you to consider the impact your profession may have one your nose after surgery.

1.  From a cosmetic stand point (depending on the rhinoplasty) you could probably be back at work in 7 to 10 days but should work in a capacity where you are not dancing.  Tending bar?  Working the door?  If you're having a full rhinoplasty with bone work, etc.  you may not be ready for 10 to 14 days.

2.  No contact for 2 to 3 weeks, minimum.

I'm a Texas boy myself, my favorites for rhinplasty near you are in DFW (Yadro Ducic and Jessie Smith) and Dawn Buckingham in Austin.

Dr. Chase Lay

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Time to return to work after rhinoplasty

+1

The issue is dependent on the likely hood of nasal contact after you return to work. If a patient works at a desk they can return any time they are comfortable however the splint is in place for the first week. If there i a chance of contact nasal bones should be stable on average around 10 days so two weeks should be safe for minimal contact.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Physical activity after rhinoplasty

+1

If you are able to be careful you probably can return to dance by two weeks after rhinoplasty. Dancing is a contact sport so you should be careful for four to six weeks. Pole dancing is not for couples, groups, or chorus, so if you are concerned that you might hit the pole during practice you might need more lessons.

peterejohnsonmd