Cysts in Both Breasts. Can I Still Have a Breast Augmentation?

I have several cysts 1 a little bigger than an almond in my breasts. Would implants harm these cysts?

Breast cysts and breast augmentation

+2

Breast augmentation can certainly be performed in women with breast cysts, as long as those cysts( growths)  have been examined and deemed to be benign by your breast surgeon.

Breast cysts and augmentation

+2

You might have these cysts aspirated and have the fluid checked before your augmentations. I have had several ladies with small benign cysts who have had augmentations with no problems. If you have them aspirated with a needle later, the Doctors doing the aspiration should be made are aware of your implants. If a patient has a strong family history for breast cancer, or a history of precancerous breast growths, I usually recommend avoiding augmentations.

Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
A lot of women have masses and cysts on exam, alot of these are benign , I require imaging and permisssion from a breast surgeon for a patitent with a mass to have a breast augment 

Breast cysts are no impediment for breast implants

+1

In general, the presence of cysts in the breasts is not a contraindication to breast augmentation surgery.  If you are in the age range of screening mammography, certainly you should have a negative study prior to any contemplated surgery.  At times, an ultrasound can be a useful adjunct in order to better determine the nature of any cyst.  In some cases, such as when there is a strong family history of breast cancer, even patients younger than screening age, would benefit from a baseline study prior to any breast surgery. 

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation with Breast cysts

+1

The implants will not harm these cysts.  It is important to have a breast examination performed by your physician.  If indicated, a mammogram and/or ultrasound may be performed prior to surgery.  

Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

You can have a breast augmentation!

+1

Breast implants are not harmful to breast cysts.  If you have risk factors for breast cancer, you should be followed by a breast surgeon but you can still have breast implants.  Good luck!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast cysts and breast implants

+1

There are many who have had breast cysts or even a prior breast biopsy, and still will be a good candidate for breast implants. Certainly if there is something on a mammogram which is being followed the issue should be cleared up before a breast augmentation, and if not a baseline mammogram could be an important first step. Implants are placed under the chest muscle and all of the breast tissue pushing the breast forward and will not harm the cysts or reduce the ability to feel them on self examination.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Breast cysts are not a contraindication to a breast augmentation

+1

Having cysts in your breast are not a contraindication for a breast augmentation. A majority of premenopausal American women have breasts cysts of varying extents. If a particular cyst is very large and painful and needs to be treated, it would be prudent to pursue this prior to surgery just to avoid the risk of puncturing an implant.

Prior to a breast augmentation in women over a particular age, I require a screening/baseline mammogram that could also identify if anything suspicious were present in your breasts.

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

Breast Augmentation and Breast Cysts

+1

I would concur with the other posts.  Regarding the need to aspirate future cysts, some physicians and even general surgeons don't like doing it when there are implants underneath.  Ultrasound guidance can help, but sometimes I have found myself doing it when the patient's physician refers her back to me to do the aspiration.

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation OK With Breast Cysts

+1

It is always a good idea to have any sort of breast mass examined by a physician, but if they have been diagnosed as simple cysts, then this is not a contraindication to having breast augmentation.  The augmentation may make these cysts more prominent feeling due the effect of everything being pushed outwards, but that does not mean that they are any larger after the surgery.  Just observe the cysts after surgery, and if anything changes, just let your surgeon know.  I hope this helps.

Barrington Plastic Surgeon