Cysts in Both Breasts. Can I Still Have a Breast Augmentation?

I have several cysts 1 a little bigger than an almond in my breasts. Would implants harm these cysts?

Breast cysts and breast augmentation

+2

Breast augmentation can certainly be performed in women with breast cysts, as long as those cysts( growths)  have been examined and deemed to be benign by your breast surgeon.

Breast cysts and augmentation

+2

You might have these cysts aspirated and have the fluid checked before your augmentations. I have had several ladies with small benign cysts who have had augmentations with no problems. If you have them aspirated with a needle later, the Doctors doing the aspiration should be made are aware of your implants. If a patient has a strong family history for breast cancer, or a history of precancerous breast growths, I usually recommend avoiding augmentations.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

+1

Breast cysts are common and generally do not affect your ability to undergo breast augmentation surgery.  Best wishes.

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
A lot of women have masses and cysts on exam, alot of these are benign , I require imaging and permisssion from a breast surgeon for a patitent with a mass to have a breast augment 

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Breast cysts are no impediment for breast implants

+1

In general, the presence of cysts in the breasts is not a contraindication to breast augmentation surgery.  If you are in the age range of screening mammography, certainly you should have a negative study prior to any contemplated surgery.  At times, an ultrasound can be a useful adjunct in order to better determine the nature of any cyst.  In some cases, such as when there is a strong family history of breast cancer, even patients younger than screening age, would benefit from a baseline study prior to any breast surgery. 

Richard J. Wassermann, MD, MPH
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation with Breast cysts

+1

The implants will not harm these cysts.  It is important to have a breast examination performed by your physician.  If indicated, a mammogram and/or ultrasound may be performed prior to surgery.  

Andrew P. Giacobbe, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

You can have a breast augmentation!

+1

Breast implants are not harmful to breast cysts.  If you have risk factors for breast cancer, you should be followed by a breast surgeon but you can still have breast implants.  Good luck!

Bivik Rajnikant Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast cysts and breast implants

+1

There are many who have had breast cysts or even a prior breast biopsy, and still will be a good candidate for breast implants. Certainly if there is something on a mammogram which is being followed the issue should be cleared up before a breast augmentation, and if not a baseline mammogram could be an important first step. Implants are placed under the chest muscle and all of the breast tissue pushing the breast forward and will not harm the cysts or reduce the ability to feel them on self examination.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast cysts are not a contraindication to a breast augmentation

+1

Having cysts in your breast are not a contraindication for a breast augmentation. A majority of premenopausal American women have breasts cysts of varying extents. If a particular cyst is very large and painful and needs to be treated, it would be prudent to pursue this prior to surgery just to avoid the risk of puncturing an implant.

Prior to a breast augmentation in women over a particular age, I require a screening/baseline mammogram that could also identify if anything suspicious were present in your breasts.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast Augmentation and Breast Cysts

+1

I would concur with the other posts.  Regarding the need to aspirate future cysts, some physicians and even general surgeons don't like doing it when there are implants underneath.  Ultrasound guidance can help, but sometimes I have found myself doing it when the patient's physician refers her back to me to do the aspiration.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon