Is It Normal to Feel the Edge of the Implant?

I am 28/5'6/135lbs/Athletic & mom of 2 boys. Was an A cup barely before BA. I got 400cc med profile silicone gel implants. I had my Breast Aug 12/15/10 & they are healing great. The right one dropped and looks perfect and natural and I can barely feel the implant except under my breast. But is it normal to feel the edge of the implant in between my cleavage, just the left breast. I showed my DR and he said scar tissue still is forming and will be less noticeable once more forms. Is this correct?

+3

It is not uncommon to be able to feel the edge of an implant, especially along the bottom edge of the breast where the tissue is thinner. This is more common in thinner patients. This is why I prefer to place implants under the muscle whenever possible. The more of you there is on top of the implant, the more it will look and feel like you, and the less it will look and feel like an implant.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Feeling edge of implants

+3

Yes, it is normal to feel the edge of the implants especially in very thin patients no matter what pocket location is chosen.

Feeling edge of Implants

+2

It is common to feel the edge of the implant- especially when you're thin.  In your case it looks to me like you have a lot of breast tissue at the lower part of your breast.  If your implant is sitting near the higher part of your breast then, although you might like your appearance, you may feel this more.  It's possible that it will become less obvious when things heal fully, although now at the 8 month point I think you're close to that point.  IF this continues to be really bothersome then a breast lift may give you some improvement, but also comes with further 'upside' and 'downside'.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation, Breast Enlargement, Breast Implants

+2

You can feel the implants in most patients.  Give more time for healing.  Its not a problem and you should not worry about feeling the implants. 

Jay H. Ross, MD
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Feeling the Edge of an Implant

+2

Feeling the edge of an implant after surgery is not that uncommon. One can always palpate the edge or feel the implant in the lower outer quadrant whether it’s silicone or saline. Sometimes saline implants may be more palpable as there is very little breast tissue in this area, especially in patients that are thin or have larger implants. However, if a patient has only a little or no breast tissue I would recommend placing the implant, preferentially silicone gel implants, below the muscle in these patients. It is important to forewarn patients that implants are palpable, especially in the lower outer quadrant. However, if they are palpable in the inner aspect, if placed above the muscle, then an excess amount of muscle release may have occurred.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Feeling the implant

+2

As stated by others, in thin patients and patients with little breast tissue prior to implant placement, there is an increased chance of feeling the implant.  However, it does take time for the implants to settle and one may settle faster than the other.  At the 6 month mark, you should discuss any asymmetry with your surgeon.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Normal to feel implant edge

+2

It is normal to feel the implant edge.  The implant edge can be more easy to feel in thin patients, patients with minimal breast tissue, and when implants are placed above the muscle.  Even when implants are placed beneath the muscle, the implant edge may still be palpable along the outer and lower part of the breast.

In your case, there appears to be some pre-existing asymmetry which may result in the implant being more palpable on one side.  This may or may not improve with time.

Andrew P. Giacobbe, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Is feeling the edge of the implant "normal"?

+2

You can feel the edge of the implant in many situations particularly in thinner patients, with saline implants (which you don't have), those with thin muscles and if to wide an implant is placed in the pocket. Your situation may or may not improve with time.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

It is normal to feel the implant.

+2

This is normal.  It seems your left breast is different than the right making the sensations different.  This may go away with time.  you will also get used to having the implant in and notice it less with time.

Feeling the implants after breast augmentation

+2

It is normal to be able to feel the edge of the implants after a breast augmentation. This is usually the case in the lower part of the breasts, but the implants can sometimes be felt on the inner and outer parts of the breasts. Your photo shows a lovely result. Do not be discouraged that you can feel the implants. While possible, it is unlikely that the healing process will increase the tissue around the implants and mask the feeling of the edge of the implants. Even so, you seem to have a nice result.

I hope this info helps!

Adam Rubinstein, MD