I Am Concerned About Aging and the Effect the Liposuction Will Have Long Term?

I am 25 yr old female, and have my surgery date for Liposuction of my ab/flanks/back/thighs in 2 wks.. Possibly side effects later in life due to lipo? 20 yrs from now, will I have any complications that may arise due to the Liposuction?

Liposuction shouldn't have late appearing side effects

+2

Liposuction, when performed appropriately, should not have any untoward long term consequences on your health or later aesthetics. Obviously, maintaining your weight will allow you to preserve your results for the long term.

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

Long term effects of liposuction

+2

Liposuction has been around for twenty five years so if there were long term negative effects we would be well aware of them by now.  So as we age the things that change to our skin will still happen in the areas where you are going to have liposuction, such as thinning of the deeper layers of your skin and pigmentation changes.  But the liposuction will not acclerate that process nor keep it from happening.  If you have a nice smooth result from the surgery at age 25 in general it will still be smooth when you are 55, but your skin will look like that of a 55 year old, not a 25 year old.

So there are no metabolic or whole body changes that could happen to you long term from the liposuction.  It doesn't cause cancer or disease later in life.  And in general if the liposuction removes fat from your body there is long term benefits from that process that mean you might be healthier in 25 years than if yo didn't have the surgery and you allowed yourself to gain an unhealthy amount of weight.

Liposuction, long term results

+2

If the initial results of your surgery are as expected for a healthy young woman, that is good skin retraction and a smooth skin surface, you should enjoy the benefits of the contour change all your life. There will certainly be no changes with aging that you would not see anyway.

Long term problems

+2

Assuming you have no complications and the results are satisfactory to you, there are no known long term negative effects of liposuction. Make sure you continue to monitor your diet and exercise regularly.

Liposuction - Long Term Side Effects?

+1

I am not aware, whether in my own practice or from reading I have done, etc., of any long-term health problems related to liposuction.  Of course, lipo is only lipo - it removes fat from specific areas, and the final results depend on what you look like before, your surgery, and the way your body heals into its new shape.  And it does not prevent future weight gain, although fat in the future may be deposited in a different distribution than if you did not have lipo.  But long term health concerns?  I don't know of any.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,
Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

After three decades of widespread use, there is no indication that liposuction has any long term negative consequences

+1

After three decades of widespread use there is no indication that liposuction has any long term negative consequences. I have been performing liposuction for 28 years and sometimes see patients I operated on 20 or more years ago. As long as the person maintains his/her weight and continues to exercise, the results can last a lifetime.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Effects from Liposuction

+1

There are complications that can arise with any surgery such as bleeding, infection, scarring, and contour irregularity. Liposuction is a very safe surgery and the complication risk is minimal. These complications typically occur shortly after surgery. As for as long term effects, there are no major long term complications.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction should not result in problems down the line

+1

Once an area undergoes liposuction, the fat cells are reduced and some scar tissue forms making it less likely that the problem area will be problematic again. Lots of patients ask if they will gain fat in other areas after liposuction over time. If you remain fit and healthy, other areas should not become problem areas. If there is significant weight gain over time, however, all bets are off and the liposuction result will not last.  Liposuction does not cause any unhealthy issues over time.

Web reference: http://www.drshermak.com/body-surgery-baltimore/liposuction/

Long term post lipo consequences

+1

From the sound of your planned liposuction areas, you should age well if you keep you weight somewhat stable.  I occasionally will see patients who have has just one isolated area treated and with weight gain you can see some interesting shapes develop.  Good luck

Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Long Term Risks of Liposuction

+1

There have been no long term effects identified with liposuction, which has been performed around 30 years now.

The risks and potential complications of liposuction are short term and most are related to the risks of any operation:  bleeding, scars, wrinkled skin, asymmetry, numbness, bruising, pain, skin discoloration, allergic reactions, DVT (deep vein thrombosis), pulmonary embolism, intra-abdominal penetration, swelling, unrealistic expectations and the need for further surgery.  Most liposuction procedures proceed very smoothly, please verify that your surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon and the operating suite is nationally accredited.

Good Luck!

Web reference: http://www.bodybyfinkle.com

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.