Should I Be Seeing Any Results Yet 5 Weeks Post-Op Liposuction?

I had liposuction done in my abdomen, lower back, inner and outer thighs and knees 5 weeks ago. He extracted 2.3 liters of fat. Right after leaving the OR I felt smaller, even when I got home I noticed some changes in my body. But now, 5 weeks later, I feel right back where I started. I see no changes, nobody knew about my surgery and nobody noticed anything different in my body so far. I've been doing post-op treatments, and I know I might be swollen, but am I going to see changes in my body?

You see see most of what you are going to get at 5 weeks post liposuction.

+2

I take all of my post op photos at one month post liposuction procedure.  You should be seeing at about 90% of the final result at 5 weeks.  If you are concerned, check back with your doctor.  Sometime liposuction will dull your memory and improve your eyesight.  You may want to get together with your doctor and look at your before and after photos to see what was actually accomplished.

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction Results?

+2

At 5 weeks postop it is still too early to evaluate your final results. I ask patients to wait at least 2 to 3 months to assess the results of the procedure. It may take several months later for the skin to “redrape".

I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

5 weeks post liposuction

+2

Your story is very famiiar.  Very commonly at 5 weeks there is a lot of swelling and the results do not appear so apparent.  Usually patients need to wait 3-4 months before seeing the results that they expect.

Early Results after Liposuction

+2

I think it is still a little early to be worried. If you felt smaller right after the procedure, then what you are seeing now could be attributed to swelling. I usually tell patients to wait at least 3 months before they look at their results, and that we won't have a "final" results for 6 months. However, by 6 or 8 weeks, you should see some improvement. So, if you are still not seeing results, I would go back to your doctor and check with him/her. Perhaps have a look at the "before" photos for comparison.

Jennifer Reichel, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

No Results Seen 5 weeks after Liposuction

+2

Swelling after liposuction usually lasts 2-4 weeks, however sometimes it can be longer. About 80% of results will be seen after 4-6 months and sometimes a little longer. It is best to be patient and not make any final judgements for at least another 6-8 months or so.

David Amron, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Not seeing difference from liposuction at 5 weeks

+2

At 5 weeks you are still going to be fairly swollen. You may start seeing more significant changes by 3 - 6 months though it can take up to a year for the swelling to maximally subside. Where is your weight now compared to your preoperative one? Many people either retain water or put on weight initially for a variety of other reasons (eating more and lack of exercise). This can obscure or neutralize you surgical results.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Liposuction Results

+2

Normally, you should see results after surgery unless the liposuction is very small volume - sometimes the swelling camouflages the results. You will continue to swell over several weeks after your procedure, but this should be close to significantly improved by 6 weeks. The key is that you don't return to the activities that have led you to your original need for lipo but begin to institute a regimen of regular diet and exercise to maintain your frame. Also, it is unlikely that anyone would notice under clothes, so this really shouldn't be a criterion for a successful result. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Results

+2

It is still a little early. I have found if patients are happy with size the first time they remove the girdle or post-op garments, then eventually they are pleased. It takes some time and be patient. Talk to your surgeon at your next visit if you are still concerned.

Michael Hueneke, MD

+1

I think you still have some swelling preset and you are likely a couple of months or more for your final result. It is common to have a little swelling come back once you start moving around a bit more, but it gets better with time.

Julio Garcia, MD

Yes you should!

+1

Yes- 80-90% of your results should be evident by 5-6 weeks, with continued improvements noted by 12 weeks.

Marc Malek, MD