4 Inch X 2 Inch Bulge After Lipo - Will It Go Away? (photo)

I had vaso liposuction of the abdomen. It has been 6 wks since surgery. There is a section about 3 inches below my bra strap that is bulged. It is very hard as if the muscle is balled up. It hurt in the beginning, but the pain is fading, the bulge is not. What could this be? The rest of the results are very positive.

Bulge 6 weeks after surgery

+2

Thank you for your question.  Since you are only six weeks after surgery this bulge could represent a number of different  things including a resolving hematoma(blood clot), seroma(a collection of clear serous fluid) or residual fat.  I would suggest waiting for six months to see if this resolves itself spontaneously. If the bulge turns out to be an area of remaining fat it would be fairly simple procedure to remove at that time. 

Lump after liposuction

+2

Kaden,

It has only been 6 weeks post your liposuction procedure.  Continue to follow your surgeons instructions, wear your garments and allow for your body to heal.  This bulge might be swelling or just your body healing in a different manner at in varying locations.  I ask my patients to wait 6 months after liposuction to evaluate the final results.

Ernesto Hayn, MD

Bulge after liposuction

+2

A bulge that you see may be an area that has not be treated effectively and is residual fat or can be fluid and swelling. Give it a few more months.

Irregularity after Liposuction?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture.

The area of concern should be evaluated by your surgeon who can best determine by visual and manual examination  what the “bulge” consists of. Usually this type of contour elevation is residual adipose tissue, residual swelling (for example after hematoma), and/or scar tissue.

I would suggest allowing for further healing to occur prior to making a final assessment of the results of your surgery. Continued to follow-up with your plastic surgeon as well.

Lumps and Bumps after Liposuction

+2

KadenMarie,

It is still very early after your procedure. If the bulge is tender, then it could be an area of localized swelling, or a collection of fluid called a seroma. It is also possible that this is an area of remaining fatty tissue. Time will tell. Hopefully you are going in for follow-ups with your doctor and can watch the area for improvement with his/her guidance. If it does turn out to be a small area of local fatty tissue, a touch-up procedure can be done, and it doesn't look like it would be too difficult from the photo you included. I think about 5% of patients need touch-ups - and that the final result can look beautiful - without a lot of further work. Hang in there - and I'm glad that most of the results are really positive. That is great.

Jennifer Reichel, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Check back with your doctor regarding your concerns.

+1

It is always best to check back with the doctor who did the procedure regarding concerns about the results.  If you are unsatisfied get a second opinion from another respected expert.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon