I Have a Completely Flat Chest but I Have Puffy Nipples. Is This Gynecomastia? 6'1'190lb

I am 6'1' and 190lbs. I am extremely athletic and am a pitcher. I have always had these puffy nipples but no other symptoms. My chest is completely flat otherwise. Is this hormonal? Is it gynecomastia? Should I see a plastic surgeon or a hormonal doctor?

+1
It is possible that you have excess subareolar breast tissue.  An exam by a qualified plastic surgeon will give you the answer and treatment options of any are needed.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Puffy nipples

+1
Men with abnormally puffy nipples/areolae suffer from one of the most common forms of gynecomastia (excessive breast growth). The condition becomes apparent when a collection of gland and/or fatty tissue gathers below the areola (or slightly beyond it). This deposit causes the areola to appear dome shaped and can lead men to feel discomfort and embarrassment. Most often the condition is caused by a hormonal imbalance, obesity or a combination of both of these factors.

The use of specific medications (like Risperdal, an anti-psychotic), as well as steroid use for building muscle, has also been known to cause puffy nipples/areolae. If a man experiences this side effect he should speak to his physician and consider switching to a medication that has not been known to cause this issue. Gynecomastia that fails to resolve itself on its own afterward may be treated with hormonal drugs. Failing this approach, most doctors recommend surgery to treat the condition.

Please see your doctor first for a physical examination. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Puffy nipples in a male

+1

A photograph of your condition would be beneficial.  Many times puffy nipples in males is associated with gynecomastia. When the gynecomastia is corrected the nipples generally shrink down as well.  You should be evaluated by a plastic surgeon for this condition and to review treatment options.

Puffy nipples on a flat chest can be gynecomastia

+1

Gynecomastia can be caused by excess male breast tissue, excess fat, or a combination of both.  Excess breast tissue under the nipple, without excess fat, can cause a situation like yours.  Have an examination by a plastic surgeon who can diagnose your situation.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

+1

From your brief description it seems that you likely have gynecomastia.You have not provided many details ,I would recommend you see someone with experience in dealing with gynecomastia.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Gynecomastia?

+1

Your description is consistent with  gynecomastia;  however, direct examination by your primary care physician or plastic surgeon will be necessary for definitive diagnosis.

Gynecomastia

+1

It is difficult to diagnose without an examination. Gynecomastia is usually (75% of the time) not due to any other casue other than bad luck but sometimes due to testicular or other tumors, medications such as cimetidine, marijuana use, or other odd disorders like Klinefelters. A quick exam can rule all of the these things out and if there is any question blood tests and/or CT scan can usually rule them out. Assuming your problem is just benign gynecomastia, nipple puffiness may be caused by fat under the nipple which by definition is gynecomastia. The treatment is direct excision or liposuction.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon