When to Limit Exercise Before Male Breast Reduction Surgery?

If I'm having male breast reduction liposuction, how should I moderate or limit my exercise routine leading up to the surgery?

Exercise before gynecomastia surgery

+1

Dear Patient, generally speaking, before a male breast reduction surgery there is no need to limit your exercise regimen. Take care and I wish you much success. 

Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Exercise before Male Breast Surgery

+1

This is a question everyone can agree on. For the most part there are no restrictions on exercise before any surgery.  It is after surgery that there will need to be restrictions due to time for wound healing and prevention of post operative bleeding.  The time frame after surgery that restrictions are necessary is variable for each type of surgery but can vary as well from surgeon to surgeon.  It is always best to follow those instructions given to you by the surgeon who does your operation.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Exercise Regimen Before Male Breast Reduction

+1

Active exercise before your surgery is a good idea so that you will be in good aerobic shape for the procedure.  Afterwards you will need to follow your surgeon's instructions so as not to stir up bleeding in the early phase of healing.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Exercise and Gynecomastia Surgery

+1

If you are having liposuction alone, I assume you have "psuedo-gynecomastia" and not "true gynecomastia" which would require excision of breast gland along with liposuction. Exercise prior to sugery is fine. After surgery you need to wait until you get clearance from your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Liposuction alone will very seldom correct gynecomastia.

+1

Hi.

1)  I know that is not your question, but correction of gynecomastia requires a combination of liposuction and sharp removal of breast tissue under nipples.  It is not really male breast reduction.  It is male breast ELIMINATION.

2)  To answer your question, you don't have to change exercise routine before surgery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Gynecomastia and exercise

+1

I do not think that you have to curtail your exercise regimen for gynecomastia surgery pre-operatively. Check with your doctor. Certainly post-op you want to take a few weeks off.

Is exercise reduction necessary before male breast surgery?

+1

Please continue with your normal routine.  Non-traumatic activity is fine before all surgery.  Male chest liposuction is effective, but a postoperative compression garment is important.  Consider a preop garment fitting.  Exercise postop is defered to each surgeon's preference. 

H. Michael Roark, MD

Gynecomastia surgery

+1

I think you're going to hear pretty much the same from all. There will not be very much controversy on this one. There should be no reason to limit activity prior to this operation. Good luck with it. I'm sure it will go well

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Limit Exercise before Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

It is not necessary to “moderate or limit” your exercise routine prior to surgery,  within common sense guidelines. For example, you will want to be well rested,  well hydrated and without swelling/bruising of the chest wall prior to surgery. Otherwise,  you will be OK  exercising up to the day of the procedure.