Massive Scarring After Gynecomastia Surgery, What Can I Do?

hello.around 2 weeks ago i had gynecomastia surgery in the uk, it was done under the national health service.before the surgery the surgoen marked me up and told me he would make a small incision under both nipples to remove the tumours.however after the bandages were removed it seems like he has cut all around my nipples and all across the chest.the chest looks worse than it was.is there anything that can be done, i dont know what to do, i feel more depressed now than ever. please advise.

Scarring after Gynecomastia Surgery?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the gynecomastia surgery;  obviously there was a miscommunication between you and the surgeon.

Time tends to improve the appearance of scars. You will find that the scars will improve in appearance even after a year has gone by.

Sometimes the use of silicone-based products may be helpful. In the event of unfavorable scarring steroid injection may be helpful. The use of superficial radiation treatment is possible for symptomatic scars.  Sometimes scar revision surgery and careful scar management afterwards may be helpful. Despite anecdotal reports I have not seen significant improvement with laser treatment of scars.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_gynecomastia.htm

Chest scars from gynecomastia

+1

Make sure you are doing everything you can to help the healing process like massaging the scars with vitamin E, fish oil, coco butter and any other scar ointment available. Its always good to mix up the creams and massage at leats 3 to 4 times per day. Another technique is to use silicone gel sheeting. You can obtain this over the internet. After 9 months, if the scar still does not make you happy, then go see a private plastic surgeon for a possible revision. It will get better.

Dr. Sean Lille

Poor Gynecomastia Incision Placement and Scarring

+1

Once the incisions/scars go outside of the areolas, the scarring is never favorable. However, it is early and the the scars will look better with time. Whether they will be improved enough to your satisfaction remains to be seen. You need to wait at least six months before making a final assessment of the scar's appearance. If necessary, scar revision could be helpful for further scar reduction.

Web reference: http://www.eppleygynecomastia.com/

There should be minimal scarring after gynecomastia surgery.

+1

Hi

Here's my advice.  Try not to think about your chest for six months, and then go see a private plastic surgeon.  The scars will get less noticeable with time, and they may be improved with a revision.

Gynecomastia - scarring

+1

hi jack, if the scars are hypertrophic you may want to try silicone gel/sheeting. your surgeon will be able to evaluate if you would be a candidate for kenalog injections. the appearance of scars will change and usually improve with time. scar maturation  takes up to 1 year. hope this helps. kind regards

Frankfurt Plastic Surgeon

Scarring after gynecomastia

+1

There must be a communications error between you and your surgeon to not know about the incisions that were going to be used.  At this point you have to let it heal.  You should discuss your concerns with your doctor.