Chin Implants - Where Are the Satisfied Patients?

If Chin Implant surgery produces such good satisfactory results and is a rather easy surgery to perform as Doctors have noted, then why are there so many negative feedbacks, and lack of positive feedbacks, as on this site for instance? I'm planning on getting this surgery but I'm not feeling all that confidant because of the prior reasons mentioned.

Chin Implant Expectations Need to Be Realistic

+2

When I talk to patients about chin implants, I am very realistic in telling them what they can expect.  The amount of projection and shape that can be achieved with a chin implant is moderate at best most of the time.  If a patient is looking for an extreme amount of re-shaping or projection, then other forms of plastic surgery need to be addressed (eg orthognathic surgery, adding a facelift or necklift.)  Further, the materials used for a chin implant are usually silicone or medpor (hard plastic.)  Both of these materials have their own specific risks, including eroding of the mandible, infection, malposition, pain, numbness, etc.  I know it sounds like chin implants are not good, but when everything is taken into account and the patient has realistic expectations, then a good outcome is very likely.  When you do end up visiting a plastic surgeon for a possible chin implant, ask to talk to previous patients who have had the procedure done by that specific plastic surgeon to get a good idea of what the procedure is all about.  Good luck!

Chin Implant Satisfaction

+2

The poor level of satisfaction in the past may have been related to older implant shapes and design. Implantech has a wide variation of anatomically conforming implants that look great in the appropriate patient.  Patient selection for the procedure is also critical, because a good candidate generally looks much better after the procedure. As others have noted, it is a fairly straight forward procedure.  However, as with any procedure, there is a variation in skill and experience related to the Surgeon involved.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

GREAT question! Yes the 50% acceptance rating on REAL SELF is of concern. Yes, it is an easy operation to preform technically but the judgement as to the exact size and shape of implant is the real issue. Thusly I suspect the 50% is due to this issue. My best advise is obtain at ;east 3 evaluations from boarded PS in your area. Best from MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Low "Worth it" Index for Chin Implant Surgery

+2

You are right. I never noticed that it had a 50% rating on this site. Typically, patients seem to be pleased wiht the surgery and it is a relatively straightforward procedure with minimal recovery time and a higher satisfaction rate consistent with other cosmetic procedures

Chin Implants ARE Great. But, How Specialized Are the Surgeons

+2

It's a shame you have only heard the negative. The operative is quick, with a hidden incision and rapid healing and return to normal activities. We have had patients go to parties the evening of the surgery.

Like most procedures in cosmetic surgery, the more specialized the doctor, the better the chance of success. Some surgeons are superstars at breast augentation and other body procedures but may not do enough chin implants to be tip-top at it.

If you were to ask the people who are unhappy, I will be you would learn that they did not have the work done by surgeons who specialize in that type of facial surgery or do them very often

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Robert Kotler, MD

Chin Implant - worth doing?

+2

If you need a chin implant, you are more than likely going to be happy after surgery. It is almost a slam dunk as far as surgeries go. Pick a surgeon that has done a bunch, it is not a particularly difficult surgery, make sure he is using a silastic anatomic implant and you are good to go. As far as these sites go, usually it is the unhappy patient with problems that get on and post, the happy ones merrily go on with their lives. So you are getting a skewed picture, even then 51% satisfaction rate is on par with Dysport (and we know it works pretty well) and not far behind eyelid surgery.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chin implants offer long term, high satisfaction rates

+2
Chin augmentation with a chin implant is an extremely common procedure performed as a stand alone procedure or together with rhinoplasty or facelift surgery.  I can tell you from first hand experience that men are very pleased with the results.  For a man with deficient projection of the chin, it's nice to have a procedure with permanent results and low down-time.  The key is selecting the appropriate implant, size, and shape to fit the patient's needs.  As with any surgery, planning is key.

Anurag Agarwal, MD
Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant Surgery Can Optimize Ones Profile

+2

While some surgeries take less time to complete there are still surgery and require preparation and forethought.  Technically chin augmentation does require skill, expertise and training.  For a good outcome to be achieved a great plan is needed.  When expectations are meet by the surgical outcome one is often satisfied.  Satisfied patients often do not write reviews.  They often are on to other aspects of their lives as well.  I hope this helps.  Chin augmentaiton enhance ones profile and can provide a new self confidence when everything goes as planned expectations are met.  Best wishes.

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Chin implants - What makes a satisfied patient?

+1

Chin implant surgery is a very satisfying procedure for a patient who has a recessed chin that needs better balance with the rest of the face.  The best results are usually achieved by a board certified facial plastic or general plastic surgeon who has significant experience with the chin.  Make sure you ask your potential surgeon about his or her experience with chin implantation and look at many pictures.    Your surgeon will also discuss your options regarding the best size implant that you will need, as well as realistic expectations which is important in any plastic surgery procedure.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant satisfaction

+1

The newer types of chin implants are much softer and sit directly on the bone so that there is less palpability and less visibility of the implants. They often hug the bone in an anatomic fashion. You should be sized prior to your implant as this will often eliminate the need for guess work. I would recommend a board certified facial plastic surgeon due to their frequent work with facial surgery specifically the chin and nose and receive extensive training in that area.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon