Chin Implant: Under the Chin or Through the Mouth?

I've wanted to get a chin implant for quite some time. I want to know, is it definately "safer" to have the chin implant inserted under the chin than through the mouth? From what I have researched, it seems there are less complications if it is inserted under the chin vs. the mouth. I am not worried about a small scar, but more worried about nerve damage, etc. Is it rude to ask the doc how many he performs? What is a good amount in a year??

I prefer an external incision, under your chin, when performing Chin Implant Surgery.

+3

Here's my rationale for advocating an external incision for chin implant surgery:

The external incision under your chin heals nearly invisibly in everyone. There is no contamination of the implant from oral bacteria whan the external approach is used, and there is a lower likelihood of traumatizing the sensory mandibular nerves when the external approach is used. Lastly, the external approach of placing a chin implant is associated with less operating time, and less downtime (swelling) in my practice.

I hope this is helpful for you.

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Under the chin approach is preferred for chin implant placement

+2

It is important to go to a facial plastic surgeon that performs many chin implants per year. A good number of implants would be 50 to 100 per year for the surgeon. The chin implant is best placed through a submental incision underneath the chin placed directly over the mandible underneath the periosteum. It is not advisable to have it done through the intraoral approach because of the migration of the implant upwards towards the teeth and chance of infection. There is much less complications with the submental approach.  

Chin Augmentation Incision choices.

+1

Your plastic surgeon should be comfortable with perfoming chin augmentation though the mouth or beneath the chin and it is not rude to ask him which he prefers or for you to make a request. You are right it is less risky to perform the chin augmentation from beneath the chin.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Chin implant - through the mouth or under the chin

+1

I don't think it is rude ever to ask how many someone does.  It does not need to be fifty a year - but I think some idea of the confidence and experience someone has is a very reasonable question to ask.

I have performed chin implants both ways and I must say that I much prefer the approach through the submental incision under the chin.  I typically place anatomic implants because I like the more natural projection and the improvement they provide in the pre jowl area. These are longer implants and I found them easier to place from the external approach.  The scar really has not been an issue for any of my patients.  i also prefer to keep saliva away from the implant material although I cannot say that I have ever had an infection from a chin implant.

Douglas M. Stevens, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant

+1

I use either incision and visualization may actually be better through the mounth. The least amount of scars is always better in my experience. Nerve damage with numbness occurs more when an extended implant is used. You could also try a filler like radiece which should last about a year to see how it would look.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant

+1

The chances of nerve damage is probably the same and is operator dependant.

The chances of infection is probably slightly higher when the implant is put through the mouth.

Human mouth and the digestive enzymes of the saliva make the mouth approach have more infections.

The nerve can be visualized by both approaches.

Choose a competent BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON(AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY) with experience. Choose the size and shape of the omplant very carefully with your plstic surgeon.Computer imaging can help you visualize the change in your face.

Chin implant approach

+1

I personally prefer placement through the mouth unless it is an extended chin implant that is required to square the jaw or efface marrionette lines. Complication rates are essentially the same for both.

A chin implant are a relatively simple procedure. I am not certain how many a year a physician needs to do to be "proficient." I personally find that I suggest it much more often than I perform it. Many of my patients just don't want to change their facial structure that much, regardless of the clear impact on facial balance.

I would be more interested in seeing before and after photos and making sure you like the surgeon's individual results. Don't be afraid to ask, though. It's a very reasonable question.

Best of luck

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant Approaches Are All Safe

+1

asfar as I have been able to find in the literature, the rates of infection, numbness, etc, are the same for either intraoral or under the chin approach.  I prefer the intraoral approach since the scar is hidden and have never had any significant problems with that approach.  I would address it with your surgeon and seewhat they are comfortable with.  Ultimately, it is up to you where you would like to have the scar, but in reality, the long term results shouldbe the same.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Under the chin or through the mouth chin implants

+1

I am not sure about whether any study has shown increased nerve damage with one approach over the other but there are concerns about a higher infection rate with the intra oral approach. Injectable fillers are an option as Dr. Aldea has discussed.

Chin Implant: Under the Chin or Through the Mouth

+1

NO! it is not rude to address the location of the incision. And yes I prefer the external approach over the intra oral one. You are fully iunderstranding this operation. Best of luck. From MIAMI , the "real" Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091