Can a Chin Implant Be Problematic if I Have a Tooth Implant Already?

I am very seriously considering a chin implant, but I am concerned about possible pain or future problems because I have a tooth implant in my lower right jaw. This tooth implant was a mistake that I was convinced to put in by a dentist many years ago. It has caused intermittant pain and problems for me over the years which is another reason i'm hesitant about proceeding w/the chin implant now. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Previous tooth implant should have no affect on considerations for a chin implant

+1

Your previous and not too ideal tooth implant should have no impact on the ability to have a chin augmentation with an implant and should not affect the immediate postoperative outcome.

Chin implant and dental work

+1

There should be no relationship between your dental issues and placement of a chin implant unless there is residual infection or abscess formation associated with the dental.  If your dentist can assure you that there is no infection in a properly placed implant, the chin implant will not affect it.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

It would be best to resolve the pain related to your dental implant prior to Chin Implant Surgery.

+1

I read your concern. If the pain in your implanted tooth is due to a deep-seeded infection, this should be eradicated before considering Chin Implant Surgery. My concern is that a dental infection could serve as a nidus for infection of your Chin Implant.

If your dentist assures you there is no infection associated with your teeth, you would not likely have an increased risk of infection related to your proposed Chin Implant Surgery.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant augmentation and prior dental work

+1

For the most part, an alloplastic chin augmentation should not involve the bone or the dental structures unless there is an abscess or bony erosion. This should be safe to perform and prophylactic antibiotics would likely be prescribed.