My Chin Implant is Out of Place - Can I Fix it w/o Surgery?

I had a chin implant 2 years ago and it is not fitted properly in the pocket. I've started to notice it in pictures and if it hits the light in a certain way. I went to my doctor and he told me to push on the implant, and that the pocket will stretch and the implant will move into the right position. Does this sound right? Or does it need to be fixed with surgery?

Moving a Chin Implant with Massage - Unlikely

+1
Although "pushing and massaging" a chin implant can theoretically cause it to move it would be highly unlikely as your body forms a capsule around it keeping it in place. Plus there is often internal fixation by suture, screw or other means preventing its movement.
Seek a second opitinion by a board certified plastic or oral surgeon if you are concerned.

Massaging chin implant to reposition it

+1

This far out from surgery it's not very likely that massaging your chin implant will move it.

I suspect that you may need to have a revision procedure to re-insert it or place a different size implant.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Chin implant malposition

+1

If the implant position is really bothering you, then you will likely need surgical correction.  Massaging the implant will not likely worsen the situation but may not improve it.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Repositioning chin implant requires surgery

+1

The only way to fix a displaced chin implant is to remove it and reinsert it. This can be done under local anesthesia. It is also important to note whether the implant is the appropriate size for the patient. If not, then it will need to be replaced with one that will fit better with the patient’s anatomy.  

Chin Implant Revision Surgery

+1

At two years post op it is highly unlikely that any sort of massage techniques will help to realign your implant.  The implant is placed in a very precise pocket along the chin and jawline.  If dissection of the pocket is performed incorrectly implant can appear misaligned.  At his point I feel that your only option is surgery if you are looking to revise positioning.  Good Luck......Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetrical Chin Implant

+1

You implant is likely made of a silicone polymer. It is very unlikely that you will have any success in changing it's position after two years. I believe that you will need surgery to correct it.

Mark Preston, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Adjusting Chin Implant without Surgery

+1

Hi Chicago2035 in Chicago, IL,

Chin augmentation with implants are common adjunct to other facial plastic procedures, such as rhinoplasty or face lift, or sometime done alone. While chin implants are more common in men, certain women may also benefit from chin surgery. Silicone is the preferred material for chin implants, but other material is also used.

After 2 years, it may be unlikely that gentle massage or manipulation will significantly alter the position. If you only notice something that bothers you in photographs of a certain light angle, then it may best be left alone. Alternatively, revision chin surgery may be appropriate. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgery specialist help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Change in chin implant position usually not correctible without surgery

+1

Hi there-

I don't believe that pushing on your implant will achieve correction.

You are going to need a surgical procedure if correcting this is important to you.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Unlikely that massage will reposition a chin implant 2 years after surgery

+1

It is highly unlikely that massage will reposition a chin implant 2 years after surgery. However, there is no risk of this causing any harm. If this does not work, I would recommend returning to your surgeon for a revision. If they are not able or interested in helping you, please find an experienced plastic surgeon to do your revision surgery.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Moving and implant into place

+1

I do not believe that pushing on the implant will cause it to shift within the fibrous tissue pocket or capsule