Will a Chin Implant Hinder my Ability to Play the Violin?

I'm considering a chin implant to correct my weak chin, however I am a tad worried that chin augmentation might hamper my ability to play the violin (which is held by holding the violin in place between the shoulder and chin). Will I still be able to hold the violin correctly after a chin implant? If so how long should I wait before applying direct pressure on my chin by holding my instrument?

Playing the Violin after Chin Surgery

+1

I would wait 6 weeks after surgery before playing the violin.  Be sure to follow up with your Plastic Surgeon for post operative instructions.

Chin Augmentation and the Violin

+1

It is probably going to be about six weeks after chin implant placement before you feel comfortable playing the violin. But after that there should be no long-term problems or concerns about violoin position or implant displacement.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Playing Violin after Chin Augmentation

+1

Once the surgical area heals following chin implant placement you will have no prioblems playing the violin. However, I suggest you do not put any pressure on your chin for 4-6 weeks after surgery. In fact violin placement may be easier with a stronger chin.

Chin implant and violin

+1

This is an interesting question. What concerns you may be a problem as frequent pressure to one side or the other after chin augmentation might lead to some shift of the implant. The implant should be stable after 6 weeks. 

I would think it best that you bring your violin with you on a preoperative consultation visit and let the surgon see how the instrument impacts on the chin area. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon