Neck-lift Complication: What is This Frontal Neck Lump? Why Isn't It Resolving After 2 Cortisone Shots? (photo)

61 days PO lf/nk lift/chin implant w/lipo under chin&neck. Drainage tubes for 2 days. 2 wks PO, a lump formed near top left of trachea. PS said it was "coagulated plasma" & cortisone shot would break it up. A month later, no change and he was perplexed--wasn't sure it was a hardened seroma afterall because of high location. any definitive ideas of what it is and should I get 2nd opinion?

What Is This Neck Lump After Liposuction and Chin Implant?

+2

I would agree with my colleagues that this is unusual. I did have one patient present to me for a second opinion for a related issue and found that the chin implant had migrated but this is incredibly rare, especially after liposuction as opposed to a necklift. After liposuction there isn't a whole lot of room in which the implant could migrate. I would pursue a second opinion and possibly an imaging study to determine exactly what the lump is and how to proceed. I hope this is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lump after neck lift

+2

It is rare that a lump like this would form two months after surgery. The location is unusual as well. There are not many structures in this area that I can think of that would present like this. I would get a second opinion from an experienced facial plastic surgeon and I would consider a CT scan to try and get a better idea of the nature of the mass.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Neck lift lump

+2

After reviewing your photos, it is hard to say what the neck lump is due to. Certainly it's hard to say definitively what is going on without an examination. Whether a second opinion is worthwhile depends on what your current surgeon's plan is. Imaging with an ultrasound or other type of x-ray may be useful.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Lump After a Neck Lift- Not Normal

+2

I have no idea what this is, but is not something we normally see after a neck lift. If the injections have not helped I would get another opinion.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck-lift Complication: What is This Frontal Neck Lump? Why Isn't It Resolving After 2 Cortisone Shots?

+2

This is unusual 3 months after a Neck Lift.  Best for you to discuss the issue with your Face Lift Surgeon...is it a muscle bunching from plication or is it possible that there's a retained 4X4 sponge in the area? There's not much in that area, of the neck, that could be causing this lump at this time.

Frontal neck lump after liposuction of the neck.

+2

Frontal neck lump after liposuction of the neck is something I have never seen in 35 years of liposuction. Get a second opinion from an experienced surgeon.

A second opinion may be helpful for determining the cause of your left neck lump, 2 months after cosmetic neck surgery.

+2

I reviewed your history and your photos, and frankly the etiology of this lump is not clear to me. The location appears to be below your submandibular salivary gland by the top of your larynx (voice box).

A second opinion from a reputable facial plastic surgeon may be helpful since the feel of this bulge can only be appreciated with an exam. If this turns out to be firm tissue, and not fluid that could be aspirated with a needle, you may benefit from a soft-tissue CT or MR of your neck to help determine the etiology.

Hope this helps, and I wish you all the best with your recovery.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon