Should Chest Exercises Be Stopped Before Breast Augmentation?

Hi, should I stop chest exercises i.e. bench press/push-ups etc. prior to Breast augmentation under muscle?

Exercise before breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  You do not need to stop exercise prior to your surgeon.  Afterwards
you definitely want to follow your own surgeon's post-op activity instructions. This is a general guide I give to my patients:
1) No heavy lifting or strenous activity for 6 weeks.
2) Resume walking at a leisurely pace right after surgery (e.g. 2 mph)
3) At 2 weeks, you can walk 2 miles at 2mph
4) At 3 weeks, you can walk 3 miles at 3mph
5) At 4 weeks, you can walk 4 miles at 4mph
6) At 5 weeks, you can jog 5 miles at 5mph
7) At 6 weeks, you can resume all activties, but listen to your body and use discomfort or tightness as a guide so you don't over do it.

Thank you for the question. There is no need to stop upper or lower body exercise prior to undergoing breast augmentation surgery. Your plastic surgeon will guide you postoperatively when it comes to resuming activities. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very happy with.

Chest exercises prior to breast augmentation

Thank you for the question. There are no clear rules on exercise prior to surgery but I advise my patients to avoid heavy or strenuous exercise the few days leading up to surgery. With heavy pectoralis muscle workouts like bench press, you may cause inflammation or swelling in the muscle that may contribute to increased post operative swelling and discomfort. More importantly you need to limit your muscle use post operatively, particularly if your implants are placed sub-muscularly. In this scenario I advise my patients to avoid heavy lifting for 6 weeks. The concern is that earlier activity may displace and shift the position of the implants. 
Dr Guy Watts

Better to refrain right before surgery

Exercise is greatly beneficial to general health, but it’s important to refrain from vigorous activity the day before. However you should ask your surgeon for their advice as they may have different guidelines.

Continue exercise as per your routine before your procedure

No need to stop your exercise regimen before your procedure.  I recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 3-4 weeks after your procedure.  I will clear my patients to start exercise as tolerated or resume heavy lifting in 3-4 weeks after their surgery *gradually*   The key word here is gradually.  You should be cleared to resume your activities without restrictions 4 weeks after your procedure.  Many of my patients have your activity level and some are semi-pro athletes or fitness professionals.  All have been able to return to their baseline strength and activity level without difficulty.  Please talk to your PS about his/her specific recommendations.  Best wishes.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Stop two weeks before

I have my patients stop excercising their chest muscles for two weeks before surgery.  In my personal belief I believe this helps minimize post-operative pain and might reduce intraoperative bleeding.  

Stopping pectoralis muscle exercises prior to breast implant augmentation surgery

I may adivse competitive body builder like patients to stop working out for anywhere from 2-4 weeks prior to surgery to minimize bleeding during the procudure.

Chest exercises

Hi Kath,

No, you do not need to stop chest exercises before your surgery but I would not overdo it for the week before surgery to make sure you do not injure yourself.

However, after your surgery, you will need to wait about 6 weeks before you lift anything over 10 lbs.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Should chest exercises be stopped before Breast Augmentation?

Dear Kath,

No reason to stop them before the surgery - even though they will not materially increase your bust size.

You will need to stop them for a few weeks AFTER the surgery (especially if the implants are placed under the pectoralis major muscle) to reduce the risk of implants being shifted upwards and sideways.

Consult with your surgeon to see what he/she prefers.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD, FACS

Working out prior to breast surgery

I do not ask my patients to stop exercising prior to surgery but I do after surgery. I place the majority of my breast implants partially under the muscle so I ask patients to not lift greater than 10 pounds for 6 weeks after surgery and to wear a very good supportive bra when they resume exercise. I hope this helps.

Dr Edwards