When to Start Basic Cardio Exercises After Breast Augmentation?

I'mplanning on having a breast augmentation soon, but I work out 6 days a week and will go crazy if I can't do any cardio exercises for longer than 2 weeks. I take a lot of spin classes, kickboxing, running, weight classes and other basic cardio like the eliptical. Approximately how soon after the procedure can I start doing these activities, specifically the spin classes (indoor cycling) and basic cardio? Any ideas?

+2
I advise my patients to avoid any activity that will raise the heart rate or blood pressure for two full weeks after surgery. This included walking, running, biking, lifting, tugging, or pulling over 20-30 lbs. At the three week point you may resume lower body activities such as brisk walking, lunges, and squats. At four weeks after surgery you should be fine to resume your regular exercise regimen.

Cardoio exercise after a breast augmentation

+2
In our practice we allow bike riding in two weeks, in your spin class you just have to avoid supporting your upper body with your arms for at least 3-4 week.s We allow walking on an incline treadmill but not running due to the bouncing for 3-4 weeks. Eliptical is OK as long as you limit the range of motion of your arms. Gauntlet stairs after two weeks. Weightlifting of the upper body not for 4 weeks.

Julio Garcia, MD

When to start exercise after Augmentation?

+1
Dear SoCalfitgirl,
Thank you for your post. In general, I ask my patients to keep away from aerobic activities in the first 2 weeks following surgery. Increased activity can increase swelling and hyper-swelling can cause stretch marks. Following this, 'non-bouncing' aerobic activity is fine, such as speed walking or cycling, but would like to keep the implants from moving too much until the capsule that forms around the implant has a chance to heal and become stronger. At 6 weeks, I clear any type of activity

Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD 

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

After three weeks

+1
Normally, I recommend patients start exercising after three weeks, at which time you will be able to begin your regular exercise routine, specifically aerobic and lower body weight training. Upper body weight training and push-ups should not be done until six weeks after your surgery. These guidelines are put into place to protect your body while it recovers. Any strenuous exercise too soon will increase your risk of developing complications, some of which require another surgery to correct.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

+1
Timing to return to specific types of exercise will vary from one patient to another. Best to check with your plastic surgeon for specific advice. Generally, I suggest patients gradually ease back into the strenuous aerobic exercise 4 to 6 weeks postoperatively, assuming that they are doing well and there have been no complications. Lower body exercise can generally be resumed 2 weeks postoperatively.  Use common sense, listen to your body, and gradually resume previous activity. In my practice, I ask patients to avoid contact and strenuous exercise involving the  pectoralis major muscles ( such as push-ups, bench press,   burpees,  dancing on a pole…) for at least 3-6 months.  Best wishes.

Fitness after implants

+1
First, I commend you on being so dedicated to your health and fitness. You are an ideal candidate for this type of procedure.

Plan to take two weeks off to allow your body to heal and avoid serious complications (like bleeding). After two weeks it is ok to go back to spinning and lower body weights - avoid any impact sports or activities that cause your breasts to bounce (kickboxing, running, even the elliptical). At four to six weeks you can start to go back to your usual routine. Be patient with yourself - take the time to let yourself have a great result!

Grant Stevens, MD

Avoid Strenuous Activities and Exercises for 6 Weeks Following Breast Augmentation

+1

Recovery varies from patient to patient following breast augmentation surgery. We generally recommend that patients avoid strenuous activities including running for at least six weeks following surgery.

Running in the immediate post-operative period has the potential to cause the breast to bottom out. The constant bouncing of the implants within a freshly formed breast pocket can cause the pocket to expand inferiorly. Capsule formation acts to stabilize the implant pocket, but may take weeks to occur. In some cases, two weeks may be adequate, while longer periods may be necessary in other cases.

Physics suggest that larger implants would be more likely to stretch the pocket and skin, while compressive support bras would minimize the phenomena.

Early resumption of strenuous activities such as weight lifting may be associated with post-operative bleeding and hematoma formation as well. For this reason, these activities should also be avoided.

In some cases, low impact cardio exercise such as elliptical, spinning and stair stepping exercises may be resumed as early as two weeks following surgery.

It’s very hard for women who exercise regularly to give up their work out routines. For these patients, it almost represents an addiction. If you’re considering an early return to strenuous exercise, it’s important that you discuss the issue with your plastic surgeon before proceeding. Your surgeon will have important information regarding your situation and when it’s safe to resume all activities. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast augmentation- listen to your doctor

+1
Vigorous exercise too soon after surgery can have a negative impact. Follow your doctor's orders and take it easy. You will be able to resume exercise soon. Just don't over do it and communicate with your plastic surgeon.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Exercising after surgery

+1

Physically active patients want to know "when can I start to work out?" We advise patients to give your body adequate time to heal. This time frame is different for each person. We recommend slowing building your routine back up at around 2 weeks. This means start with walking and see how you feel. At 6 weeks you may begin your regular activities, remembering to listen to your body, stop if you feel discomfort.

Be Well and Good Luck!

Morgan E. Norris, MD, FACS

Exercise post op

+1

I always suggest that patients not undertake a formal exercise regimen for four weeks post operatively but you can walk as much as you like as of the day of surgery. Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon