When to Start Basic Cardio Exercises After Breast Augmentation?

I'mplanning on having a breast augmentation soon, but I work out 6 days a week and will go crazy if I can't do any cardio exercises for longer than 2 weeks. I take a lot of spin classes, kickboxing, running, weight classes and other basic cardio like the eliptical. Approximately how soon after the procedure can I start doing these activities, specifically the spin classes (indoor cycling) and basic cardio? Any ideas?

Cardoio exercise after a breast augmentation

In our practice we allow bike riding in two weeks, in your spin class you just have to avoid supporting your upper body with your arms for at least 3-4 week.s We allow walking on an incline treadmill but not running due to the bouncing for 3-4 weeks. Eliptical is OK as long as you limit the range of motion of your arms. Gauntlet stairs after two weeks. Weightlifting of the upper body not for 4 weeks.

6020 South Rainbow Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89118

After three weeks

Normally, I recommend patients start cardio and lower body training after three weeks. Upper body weight training and push-ups have to wait until six weeks after surgery. Any strenuous exercise too soon will increase the risk of complications. If your recovery goes well, then it should be no problem, however please speak to your surgeon.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Breast augmentation Post Op

Thank you for your question.  The first thing I would recommend would be to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and making certain to discuss this with them, as each surgeon has their own set of post op instructions.  That being said, we typically advise our patients to avoid strenuous activities or anything that increases the heart rate dramatically for a minimum of 2-3 weeks, with no chest presses or lifting for a minimum of 4-6 weeks.

Best regards,
Dr. Lane F. Smith, MD
Plastic Surgeon
Las Vegas, NV

Lane Smith, MD

8871 West Sahara Avenue
Las Vegas, NV 89117

Resuming Exercise After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I recommend that my patients resume their normal routines and exercises six weeks post-procedure. That being said, listen to your body. If you are sore and achy after you resume your exercise, slow down and work back up to normalcy. Best of luck to you!

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

6216 Fayetteville Rd
Durham, NC 27713

When is exercise safe after breast augmentation?

As a general rule of thumb, I ask patients to refrain from any exercise that works the upper body for at least 4-6 weeks after surgery.  This will allow healing to occur and the implant position to be secure enough to withstand a strenuous work-out.  A light workout, that does not involve any upper body exertion is usually ok after 2-3 weeks.

Nirav Savalia, MD

180 Newport Center Dr.
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Cardio after breast augmentation surgery

I have my patients avoid getting their heart rate up or sweat for 2.5 weeks at which point they can power walk and build up to some jogging at 3-4 weeks.  There is a rational for this which I explin during the consultation.  

Matthew H. Conrad, MD
Wichita Plastic Surgeon

1700 Waterfront Pkwy
Wichita, KS 67206

Basic Cardio Exercises After Breast Augmentation

Each surgeon has his or her guidelines for postoperative care. Generally, you can begin light activity 5 to 7 days post surgery. More strenuous activity can begin as soon as 3 to 6 weeks depending on how you are healing. Consult with your surgeon and follow his or her instruction as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

1501 Forest Hill Boulevard
West Palm Beach, FL 33406

Activities after breast augmentation.

I am sure that your surgeon will have definitive ideas about when she/he wants patients to resume activities after surgery. I would suggest following your surgeon's advice rather than information you will find online. Having said that the two most common complications immediately after breast augmentation are bleeding and infection. Therefore much of the post operative insturctions will be concerned about minimizing the risks of bleeding and infection. Things that increase heart rate or blood pressure are best avoided immediately after surgery as are things that can contaminate the surgical incision.

Michael B. Tantillo, MD

235 Cypress St.
Brookline, MA 02445

Be careful with your results

Breast augmentation is a short surgery which is typically performed as an outpatient. I prefer the patients take a week off from work. At that point they can return to work or school, but should refrain from all vigorous physical activity. At 1 month, they can resume cardio typo exercises. At 2 months they can engage in more vigorous activity.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

525 Oak Centre Drive
San Antonio, TX 78258

When to start exercise after Augmentation?

Dear SoCalfitgirl,
Thank you for your post. In general, I ask my patients to keep away from aerobic activities in the first 2 weeks following surgery. Increased activity can increase swelling and hyper-swelling can cause stretch marks. Following this, 'non-bouncing' aerobic activity is fine, such as speed walking or cycling, but would like to keep the implants from moving too much until the capsule that forms around the implant has a chance to heal and become stronger. At 6 weeks, I clear any type of activity

Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD 

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

8900 Raintree
Scottsdale, AZ 85260