When to Start Basic Cardio Exercises After Breast Augmentation?

I'mplanning on having a breast augmentation soon, but I work out 6 days a week and will go crazy if I can't do any cardio exercises for longer than 2 weeks. I take a lot of spin classes, kickboxing, running, weight classes and other basic cardio like the eliptical. Approximately how soon after the procedure can I start doing these activities, specifically the spin classes (indoor cycling) and basic cardio? Any ideas?

Cardoio exercise after a breast augmentation

In our practice we allow bike riding in two weeks, in your spin class you just have to avoid supporting your upper body with your arms for at least 3-4 week.s We allow walking on an incline treadmill but not running due to the bouncing for 3-4 weeks. Eliptical is OK as long as you limit the range of motion of your arms. Gauntlet stairs after two weeks. Weightlifting of the upper body not for 4 weeks.

Cardio After Breast Augmentation

Strenuous activity and upper body exercises should be avoided for 3- 6 weeks after surgery. You can do some light activity such as walking and lower body exercises after 2 weeks if you are feeling fine.

Exercise and breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. You definitely want to follow your own surgeon's post-op activity instructions. This is a general guide I give to my patients:
1) No heavy lifting or strenous activity for 6 weeks.
2) Resume walking at a leisurely pace right after surgery (e.g. 2 mph)
3) At 2 weeks, you can walk 2 miles at 2mph
4) At 3 weeks, you can walk 3 miles at 3mph
5) At 4 weeks, you can walk 4 miles at 4mph
6) At 5 weeks, you can jog 5 miles at 5mph
7) At 6 weeks, you can resume all activities, but listen to your body and use discomfort or tightness as a guide so you don't over do it.

Breast augmentation Post Op

Thank you for your question.  The first thing I would recommend would be to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and making certain to discuss this with them, as each surgeon has their own set of post op instructions.  That being said, we typically advise our patients to avoid strenuous activities or anything that increases the heart rate dramatically for a minimum of 2-3 weeks, with no chest presses or lifting for a minimum of 4-6 weeks.

Best regards,
Dr. Lane F. Smith, MD
Plastic Surgeon
Las Vegas, NV

Lane Smith, MD

Resuming Exercise After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I recommend that my patients resume their normal routines and exercises six weeks post-procedure. That being said, listen to your body. If you are sore and achy after you resume your exercise, slow down and work back up to normalcy. Best of luck to you!

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

When is exercise safe after breast augmentation?

As a general rule of thumb, I ask patients to refrain from any exercise that works the upper body for at least 4-6 weeks after surgery.  This will allow healing to occur and the implant position to be secure enough to withstand a strenuous work-out.  A light workout, that does not involve any upper body exertion is usually ok after 2-3 weeks.

Cardio after breast augmentation surgery

I have my patients avoid getting their heart rate up or sweat for 2.5 weeks at which point they can power walk and build up to some jogging at 3-4 weeks.  There is a rational for this which I explin during the consultation.  

Basic Cardio Exercises After Breast Augmentation

Each surgeon has his or her guidelines for postoperative care. Generally, you can begin light activity 5 to 7 days post surgery. More strenuous activity can begin as soon as 3 to 6 weeks depending on how you are healing. Consult with your surgeon and follow his or her instruction as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Activities after breast augmentation.

I am sure that your surgeon will have definitive ideas about when she/he wants patients to resume activities after surgery. I would suggest following your surgeon's advice rather than information you will find online. Having said that the two most common complications immediately after breast augmentation are bleeding and infection. Therefore much of the post operative insturctions will be concerned about minimizing the risks of bleeding and infection. Things that increase heart rate or blood pressure are best avoided immediately after surgery as are things that can contaminate the surgical incision.

Be careful with your results

Breast augmentation is a short surgery which is typically performed as an outpatient. I prefer the patients take a week off from work. At that point they can return to work or school, but should refrain from all vigorous physical activity. At 1 month, they can resume cardio typo exercises. At 2 months they can engage in more vigorous activity.