When to Start Basic Cardio Exercises After Breast Augmentation?

I'mplanning on having a breast augmentation soon, but I work out 6 days a week and will go crazy if I can't do any cardio exercises for longer than 2 weeks. I take a lot of spin classes, kickboxing, running, weight classes and other basic cardio like the eliptical. Approximately how soon after the procedure can I start doing these activities, specifically the spin classes (indoor cycling) and basic cardio? Any ideas?

+3
I advise my patients to avoid any activity that will raise the heart rate or blood pressure for two full weeks after surgery. This included walking, running, biking, lifting, tugging, or pulling over 20-30 lbs. At the three week point you may resume lower body activities such as brisk walking, lunges, and squats. At four weeks after surgery you should be fine to resume your regular exercise regimen.

Cardoio exercise after a breast augmentation

+2
In our practice we allow bike riding in two weeks, in your spin class you just have to avoid supporting your upper body with your arms for at least 3-4 week.s We allow walking on an incline treadmill but not running due to the bouncing for 3-4 weeks. Eliptical is OK as long as you limit the range of motion of your arms. Gauntlet stairs after two weeks. Weightlifting of the upper body not for 4 weeks.

Julio Garcia, MD

Basic Cardio Exercises After Breast Augmentation

+1
Each surgeon has his or her guidelines for postoperative care. Generally, you can begin light activity 5 to 7 days post surgery. More strenuous activity can begin as soon as 3 to 6 weeks depending on how you are healing. Consult with your surgeon and follow his or her instruction as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Activities after breast augmentation.

+1
I am sure that your surgeon will have definitive ideas about when she/he wants patients to resume activities after surgery. I would suggest following your surgeon's advice rather than information you will find online. Having said that the two most common complications immediately after breast augmentation are bleeding and infection. Therefore much of the post operative insturctions will be concerned about minimizing the risks of bleeding and infection. Things that increase heart rate or blood pressure are best avoided immediately after surgery as are things that can contaminate the surgical incision.

Michael B. Tantillo, MD

Be careful with your results

+1
Breast augmentation is a short surgery which is typically performed as an outpatient. I prefer the patients take a week off from work. At that point they can return to work or school, but should refrain from all vigorous physical activity. At 1 month, they can resume cardio typo exercises. At 2 months they can engage in more vigorous activity.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

When to start exercise after Augmentation?

+1
Dear SoCalfitgirl,
Thank you for your post. In general, I ask my patients to keep away from aerobic activities in the first 2 weeks following surgery. Increased activity can increase swelling and hyper-swelling can cause stretch marks. Following this, 'non-bouncing' aerobic activity is fine, such as speed walking or cycling, but would like to keep the implants from moving too much until the capsule that forms around the implant has a chance to heal and become stronger. At 6 weeks, I clear any type of activity

Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD 

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

After three weeks

+1
Normally, I recommend patients start cardio and lower body training after three weeks. Upper body weight training and push-ups have to wait until six weeks after surgery. Any strenuous exercise too soon will increase the risk of complications. If your recovery goes well, then it should be no problem, however please speak to your surgeon.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

+1
Timing to return to specific types of exercise will vary from one patient to another. Best to check with your plastic surgeon for specific advice. Generally, I suggest patients gradually ease back into the strenuous aerobic exercise 4 to 6 weeks postoperatively, assuming that they are doing well and there have been no complications. Lower body exercise can generally be resumed 2 weeks postoperatively.  Use common sense, listen to your body, and gradually resume previous activity. In my practice, I ask patients to avoid contact and strenuous exercise involving the  pectoralis major muscles ( such as push-ups, bench press,   burpees,  dancing on a pole…) for at least 3-6 months.  Best wishes.

Avoid Strenuous Activities and Exercises for 6 Weeks Following Breast Augmentation

+1

Recovery varies from patient to patient following breast augmentation surgery. We generally recommend that patients avoid strenuous activities including running for at least six weeks following surgery.

Running in the immediate post-operative period has the potential to cause the breast to bottom out. The constant bouncing of the implants within a freshly formed breast pocket can cause the pocket to expand inferiorly. Capsule formation acts to stabilize the implant pocket, but may take weeks to occur. In some cases, two weeks may be adequate, while longer periods may be necessary in other cases.

Physics suggest that larger implants would be more likely to stretch the pocket and skin, while compressive support bras would minimize the phenomena.

Early resumption of strenuous activities such as weight lifting may be associated with post-operative bleeding and hematoma formation as well. For this reason, these activities should also be avoided.

In some cases, low impact cardio exercise such as elliptical, spinning and stair stepping exercises may be resumed as early as two weeks following surgery.

It’s very hard for women who exercise regularly to give up their work out routines. For these patients, it almost represents an addiction. If you’re considering an early return to strenuous exercise, it’s important that you discuss the issue with your plastic surgeon before proceeding. Your surgeon will have important information regarding your situation and when it’s safe to resume all activities. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast augmentation- listen to your doctor

+1
Vigorous exercise too soon after surgery can have a negative impact. Follow your doctor's orders and take it easy. You will be able to resume exercise soon. Just don't over do it and communicate with your plastic surgeon.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon