Why Do Some Breast Augmentation Results Appear Saggy?

After 3 kids and recent weight loss, my breasts are very saggy. I keep seeing pictures of after breast augmentation surgery and they still seem saggy. Why is this? Aren't the new ones supposed to stay up?

A breast lift was needed

Results after breast augmentations that apperar saggy come from two reasons. The first is that a breast lift with an augmentation should have been done rather than a breast augmentation alone. If breasts are sagging to begin with, adding an implant without doing a lift leads to a larger, sagging breast. Many women are leary of the scars from a breast lift, and either opt for an implant alone, or are advised to do this. Generally this is not a good way to go. The only way to lift a sagging breast to get a perkier look, is to do a breast lift.

The other reason is that the breasts can change after the enlargement. Usually this is due to pregnancy, weight loss, or lack of support for an enlarged breast. In terms of weight loss and pregnancies, there is a larger amount of skin supporting the breast (which may have become smaller) which causes it to sag. In women who have had breast augmentation, there is a greater weight to the breast, and a greater need for good support in a bra maintain this look. If someone who has large breasts routinely goes without a bra (or with minial support in a bra), the breasts will sag over time whether or not she has implants.

The only other thing to understand, is that -- generally speaking -- the mature breast, lifted or not, will not look like a young womens breast. As women age, the breast changes, and this can affect the look. But, this can also lead to a very natural, attractive look to the breast.

But the best advice to you, is to go to a board ceritfied plastic surgeon for a consultation. If needed, have a breast lift with the enlargement. Use an implant that gives you the fullness that you want, but don't overdo the size of the implant. Larger implants are heavier and add more weight to the breast with can lead to sagging over time. (You may also want to consider silicone implants.) Then, in your daily life, and exercise, wear good support in your bras. This should be seen as protecting your investment!

Knoxville Plastic Surgeon