Good Candidate for Bullhorn Lip Lift?

I'm close to Chicago and considering having this done. I'm a 52 year old female who hates her upper lip and the great space between lip and nose. Can lip symmetry also be corrected and am I a good candidate?

I want it to look completely natural (upper lip no more than 2/3 as full as bottom lip) and not rabbit-like, and would like the procedure done under local (had my upper blepharoplasty done under local) in-office. If satisfied with answer I will contact you about fees and more info. Thanks!

Upper Lip Contour

+3

Dear Yannzi

The shape of the lip can be changed with surgery and with fillers. An upper lip shortening will make a nice change- as long as the lip and your teeth (upper dental arch ) are in a good relative position- this is hard to determine from your photo. if the lip is sitting below your teeth when your mouth is partially open, shotening the upper lip will improve the proportions.

The shaping of the outer portion of your lip can be enhanced with fillers.

These procedures may not make your lip perfect and the scar from the lip lifting surgery is a trade off- in many cases it heals very well.

This can be done under a local and the sutures would be removed at day 4.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

You might be a perfect candidate

+1

Lip lift is usually a very rewarding and satisfying procedure in a right patient. It provides not only a lasting result but also more "pout" effect and lip shortening that is impossible to achieve with fillers only

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Lip Lift and/or Reduction Candidate

+1

It sounds like you are in fact an excellent candidate for an upper lip lift, with a possible upper lip reduction. These are challenging procedures so you need to make sure it is performed by a surgeon experienced.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bullhorn lift for the upper lip

+1

Unfortunately doing an agressive bullhorn style lift will only elevate the central 2/3 of your upper lip and leave the outer portions downturned.

You will have to consider the possible use of an outer lip lift (corner lift) on either a combined or staged basis as a potential option.

Who is a candidate for a bullhorn lift.

+1

You might find the video link below helpful, as well as a link to another blogpost.

If your upper lip from the columella (little column of tissue between the nostrils) to the red border of the lip is more than 1.5 centimeters in length, you will benefit from a lip lift.

As for the shape of the upper lip, that is controlled by how much lateral versus medial tissue you take off. This is not a cookie cutter procedure, and I like doing it under local so the patient can look and we can tweak some of the vectors before final closure.

Good luck on your search!

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD