Can a Lip Lift Be Performed with Rhinoplasty?

Is it possible to have a Lip Lift done at the same time as a Rhinoplasty? It seems logical, if the incision will be made in the area anyways. If, so can the cost be contained for both procedures if they essentially share the same incision?

Lip Shortening at time of rhinoplasty

Yes, it is possible to do a lip shortening procedure at the time of a closed Rhinoplasty. That being said, please rely on your surgeon's best advice as to whether he/she is comfortable with that option

3991 MacArthur Boulevard
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Lip lift and rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  Lip lifts and rhinoplasty can be done at the same time.  I would recommend that you ask your plastic surgeon about this combination as it may depend on the rhinoplasty technique that is being performed and whether there is a benefit in staging the procedure.  This would usually be the case when the blood supply between the rhinoplasty incision and the lip lift incision could be compromised.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

5061 FM 2920
Spring, TX 77388

Lip lift and rhinolasty done at the same time

A lip lift and a rhinoplasty can be done at the same, but it would have to be a closed rhinoplasty with limited internal incisions. Otherwise the blood supply to the nose may be compromised and swelling of the nose may be extended beyond the normal time. Also with the injections in the nose it make it difficult to evaluate the amount of skin removal necessary to achieve the desired result in a lip lift. 

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

410 Mall Blvd
Savannah, GA 31406

I don't recommend Rhinoplasty + Lip Lift

I don't recommend it to you. Both rhinoplasty or lip lift surgeries requiere maximum precission. Doing these two surgeries combined, would bring less technical precission. Doing them combined woul compromise scar healing and optimal correction. I would wait at least  3 month between the two procedures (first rhinoplasty).

Enrique Etxeberria, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Palacio Sota Gran Vía 45, 1
Bilbao, Bizkaia (Basque Country) 48011

Recommended time interval between lip lift and rhinoplasty

No, I do not recommend this to be done combined, due to the risk of poor healing from the two very close incisions that could both impair blood flow as well as provide pulling against each other. I recommend a 6 week interval between the two- and the lip lift can easily be done under just mild or no oral sedation.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

6280 Sunset Drive
Miami, FL 33143

Lip lift and rhinoplasty

They can be done together but I would reccommend against doing this. The nose drops and settles after a rhinoplasty so the amount of lip lift can be hard to judge when done at the same time. Swelling in the lip and nose together at the time of surgery also confuse the picture a bit. My recommendation, do your nose and then wait 3 months to do the lip lift.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

18851 NE 29th Avenue
Miami, FL 33180

A lip lift can be performed at the same time as a rhinoplasty

Absolutely.  A lip lift can be combined with a rhinoplasty.  This will allow you to have one recovery and may make the procedures more affordable.  I have performed rhinoplasty and lip lift on numerous patients without incident.  Warmest Regards.

Gregory Pippin, MD
Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

1111 Medical Center Blvd.
Marrero, LA 70072

Lip lift with rhinoplasty

Although I am a big fan of performing multiple procedures on patients, I am not one who would do a lip lift and rhinoplasty, certainly not an open rhinoplasty. I am concerned about blood supply and even though the nose has excellent blood supply, why push the limit. If you are the one patient who gets a skin slough or tissue loss from the combination you will be extremely unhappy.

I would recommend doing the lip lift either before or after rhinoplasty surgery. Good luck with your decision.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

1905 Clint Moore Rd.
Boca Raton, FL 33496

Lip lift with rhinoplasty

As you can see the general consensus is that a combined open rhinoplasty and bull's horn lip lift are generally not advised due to the possibility of compromising the blood supply to the columella. You can review the attached video to see the proximity of these two incisions.

However a 1) closed rhinoplasty and bull's horn lip lift (the preferred method of lip lift) or 2) open/closed rhinoplasty with gull wing lift lip are generally acceptable.

Be prepared for a visible scar in any case.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Lip lift and closed rhinoplasty can be done at the same time

Yes, a lip lift can be done at the same time in conjunction with a rhinoplasty if so desired. It is probably not a good idea to have a lip lift done with an open rhinoplasty, but it would be an acceptable procedure to perform with a closed rhinoplasty.

1101 Madison St
Seattle, WA 98104