Surgery for Drooping Mouth?

My mouth droops a little on one side and I have been told by a surgeon I have an asymmetric face. The doctor actually thought I had had an accident.

What is the surgery that can correct this to give symmetry to my face and in particular to stop the side of my mouth drooping?

A Corner of the Mouth Lift is What You Need

+2

When the corners of the mouth turn down, there is other solution than to treat it directly. Many people mistakenly believe that a face or cheek lift will turn the corners up to a level position, but this will not result from those procedures. A simple corner of the mouth lift removes a very small triangle of skin at the mouth corners and creates an immediate and permanent change in the smile line. It does result in a very small scar but this area heals well and  scar revision of it is usually not needed.

Asymmetric face or drooping mouth

+2

There are many options and the choices depend on the severity:

1) Botox to the other side

2) Subcutaneous Fillers

3) Corner lift

4) Asymmetric Lip lift (Bull-horn or gull wing)

5) Cheek lift

6) Face lift

Drooping lips

+1

This is a common problem as you age.  Many times this is done in conjunction with a facelift.  This is a separate procedure and can be done alone.  The scars are placed in facial lines, as not to be noticed.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Facial Asymmetry responds well to Botox

+1

Drooping of one side of your mouth may respond well to having some Botox placed in the DAO, (depressor anguli oris), muscle on the side of the droop. As this muscle "pulls down" the corner of your mouth, weakening it with Botox may correct the asymmetry. Make sure you have somebody with experience in lower face Botox therapy, as, if it is done incorrectly, the lower lip, (and not just the corner), will be distorted.

debrairizarry.com

Debra Irizarry, MD
Crestone Plastic Surgeon

Drooping mouth

+1

Direct solutions to the problem should be avoided. Any corner of the mouth lift will leave you with a very visible and unnatural scar.....for that mater any visible scar in the area of the mouth is unsightly and to be avoided at all cost (either surgical or traumatic.). My suggestion is to try either a filler in the area or for a more permanent longer lasting result get a preauricular facelift (essentially a gentle small pull under local anest. 20 min. near the tragus that may elevate the area. As assymetries are common and not necessarily a problem, you could simply ignore it

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Midface lift

+1

Sometimes a midface lift can lift the upper lid and cheek. The surgeon probably thought you had a facial nerve palsy from an accident. The midface lift can give you a good result from this. 

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Surgery for drooping mouth?

+1

Dear Highlander,

A photo of the mouth at rest and one smiling would GREATLY ease our job and increase the accuracy and relevancy of the answers.

Besides the NATURAL facial asymmetry we all have, there are several reasons why one side of the mouth and "THE" solution would greatly depend on the reason for the droop.

Age related drooping associated with a deepening nose to mouth (Nasolabial) fold would be improved with a mid-facelift as well as with fillers in the fold.

Sometimes the drooping is seen on the NORMAL side because the nerve supplying the muscle pulling the corner of the mouth down (DEPRESSOR ANGULI ORIS) , has been damaged. (Such a birth injury related to a forceps injury (A famous example is Sylvester Stallone), the same injury can also happen during a neck lift when a branch to that muscle is damaged). Such drooping can be made symmetrical and nicely improved by weakening the muscle which pulls the corner of the mouth with a few units of Botox.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Fixing facial asymmetry

+1

Everybody's face is asymmetrical to some degree.  Some more than others.  If the underlying bony architecture is very different from one side to the other, soft tissue work alone may not correct the problem sufficiently.  A photo of you would help here enormously. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Multiple Options For Lip Rejuvenation

+1

I would agree with Dr. Placik about the options for rejuvenation. I would also point out though that some degree of asymmetry is absolutely normal. In most cases, surgery will improve asymmetries but not completely correct them. Patients should weigh if the risk of worsening things is worth the possible reward of improvement.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon