When Will I Know my Final Size? Lift With Augmentation and Small Reduction.

I got a breast lift/augmentation with a small reduction of 80-100 gr with the implants being 250cc I told him I wanted smaller perkier breasts not bigger. I am just about 6 weeks post op. Will they go down in size, is there still swelling? I assume there must be, but enough to go down a cup or 2 in size? I was a Full B saggy C before and now i'm filling up a D cup which is NOT where I wanted to be :(

Results after a reduction/augmentation

+1

I'm sorry to hear of your recovery but simple math will tell you that an augmentation that exceeds the volume of reduction will result in a larger volume (aka bigger breast).   You should be discussing your concerns with your surgeon and better understand the logic behind the decisions.  Did you select your implant size or did you leave this up to your surgeon?  Now that its 'water under the bridge', you can either resolve this with your surgeon or get a second opinion with your surgeon's consultation/notes available for review by whomever you select for your second opinion.

Communciation?

+1

Something is here that I don't understand. If you wanted to be smaller and perkier, why not just a lift. 

It is not likely that you will wind up smaller if 80 to 100 grams was removed and 250 cc added. That should account for about a cup size increase in size, not a decrease. 

You may or may not have any swelling, but I don't see how you can wind up smaller than you were with 150-170 cc net enlargement. Discuss with your surgeon. All the best. 

Final size after breast surgery

+1

Adding implants to  breast lift adds most of the risk in the procdure so only do this when you want to be BIGGER.  Otherwise, if you are alreay large enough, just do the lift alone and see if you can be happy.  Either way though, the final result will be there at 6 months.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

You wanted smaller perkier breasts but your surgeon added implants???

+1

This seems to be an unfortunate trend among some of my plastic surgical colleagues. You had adequate size (actually slightly large, since you asked for "smaller, perkier" breasts), and a breast lift alone would remove about an ounce of skin, or a bit more tissue if indeed you wanted a bit smaller. Why add implants at all if you were already bigger that you wanted?

The sad answer is that some surgeons were apparently trained that in order to do a breast lift, more than on ounce of tissue "must" be removed. I and a significant number of other ABPS-certified plastic surgeons know this is simply not true. When one of my patients likes her breast size and simply wants a lift, I remove 15-30 grams of skin (1/2 to 1 ounce) per breast, and tailor the remaining breast skin to the desired lifted, "perky" appearance. No more tissue needs removing, and implants are not "needed" to "shape the breast" or give the desired "upper pole fullness," which is the usual "excuse" or explanation for why implants are recommended.

A properly-tailored skin brassiere gives a perfectly soft and natural uplifted and "perkier" pair of breasts, and a push-up bra can give her even more uplift if she wishes. Having an unnatural projection and "Baywatch coconut" upper pole is neither natural nor attractive, but it is indeed something a few (misinformed, IMHO) women ask for. A soft, natural breast is best, and has the capability to be molded into any shape a woman's bra and clothing are capable of. Hard round breasts are, well, hard and round, and cannot be soft or natural regardless of clothing choice. And they really look weird when nude!

But that's just my point of view; strongly held.

Unfortunately, you had 80-100g removed and 250cc added per side, so no matter how things settle and soften as swelling goes down, you will be 5-6 ounces bigger per breast than when you started, though in an uplifted, perkier package. Hopefully, your surgeon gave you a nice skin tailoring breast lift--you will end up with larger, more youthful breasts. 

In my opinion, if you were clear you wanted only a lift and wanted to be slightly smaller in a perkier skin brassiere, you should not have had implants (or the cost, time, increased healing risks, and potential concerns related to them).

Again, this is my opinion, but it is hard to understand the rationale for your surgeon's choice, at least based on what you state. Your surgeon, of course, is entitled to his/her own opinions, and presumably has your best interests at heart, not increased fees/cost. I just feel s/he is misinformed or poorly-trained; otherwise, unethical is the only remaining option.

It sounds as if you may require more surgery to remove the unwanted and unneeded implants, hopefully without having to re-do part or all of your lift. All three of my patients in the web reference below (click on the link to see the cases) had only skin removal and breast lift, no implants. Sorry about your plight. Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and augmentation

+1

I am not sure how much smaller you will get because it really depends upon where you started. If he removed 100 gms and put in  250 then you are plus 150 which may add a cup to where you started.  Wait for the swelling to subside.

When do breast impants reach their final size?

+1

Your breasts swell after breast augmentation.  Everyone is a little different in the amount of swelling.  Swelling is most obvious in small breasts, going from an A to a C, for example.  Usually after two weeks they are becoming much softer and less swollen.  After 4-6 weeks you should be about 80% there.

Gregory Diehl, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

6 months after the surgery

+1

By 6 weeks after the surgery you should have a significant reduction of the swelling after the surgery. It takes about 6 months to actually see the implants settle in place. If your breast are still very large in size by this time the may not reduce in size much after this period. I f you needed any revision you should wait at least 6 months to a year.

Good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Breast size based on grams and cc

+1

To directly answer your questions, your breast size after 1 month is usually pretty accurate as to what you will be in a year though you may slightly go down in size if you had more swelling than average. One cup size is approx 150-250 cc depending on your size. Based on you losing 100 grams (approx 100 cc) and gaining 250cc I would suspect your final cup size to be approx 1/2 to 3/4 larger than your preoperative size. Thus a full C or borderline C/D.

Christopher J. Ewart, MD
Augusta Plastic Surgeon

Lift with Augmentation and Reduction

+1

Placing implants is typically not advisable if the patient is wanting to have a reduction in bra size.  The lift and small reduction can be performed without an implant.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

When Will I Know my Final Size?

+1

Thank you for the question. You are still early on in your recovery. In the initial phase after surgery there is a period of inflammation and scarring that must occur in order for you to heal. Over the next 6 months these processes will subside and your breasts will start to "settle" as the implants drop and the soft tissues of the breast accommodate.

No one can tell you how much of what you see is due to the inflammatory process and thus temporary. However be assured that that your breasts will continue to change over the next 6 to 12 months.

I recommend that you not fixate on a "cup size" as it is more of an idea than an actual number. Just think of when you buy bras. One can buy 2 "identical" bras, yet they will not fit the same. At this juncture I would encourage you to be patient and continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon. If after 6 months you remain unhappy with your results discuss it with your surgeon.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD