Possible to Reduce Breasts from 38D to a C-cup?

Im a 21 year old female with 38D breast, I have pain in my back and rolled shoulders. I've also developed a rash underneath of my breast. I'm considering a

breast reduction

to a C-cup is that plausible?

Certainly possible

+2

It sounds like you would be a potentially good candidate for breast reduction, but I think it's important to not just consider the bra size, but the overall shape, symmetry, and long term results that you could get from a breast reduction surgery. Fitting well into a C-cup bra should likely be achievable, but I would recommend a formal consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area to have a formal exam-- he can give you a sense of what size you would be, where the incisions would be, and what shape to expect after the procedure is complete.

Good luck!

Dr. Salemy

Selecting a cup size is not possible

+2

Cup sizing is not an exact science and surgery cannot guarantee a postop cup size.  Sometimes the base width of the breast is too wide to ever fit in a C cup.  Regardless of cup size, a reduction should improve the size and shape of your breasts and minimize or eliminate your symptoms.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction from D to C cup Size

+1

Yes, it is possible to reduce your cup size from a D to a C cup.I usually have my patients  bring in a photograph to give me an idea exactly what you mean by the size you wish as well as how "perky" you wish to be. When going down just 1 or 2 cup sizes I think the  minimal incision Breast Reduction/Breast Lift surgery using a “vertical” or “lollipop” scar technique is a good choice.  This method has been used in Brazil and France for many years but is performed by a minority of Plastic Surgeons in this country.  The benefits include: approximately fifty percent less scarring, a narrower breast, better forward projection and shape, longer lasting improvement, shorter surgery time and less complications. In general, I have stopped using the older traditional “anchor” or inverted “T” incisions as these provide inferior results.  The procedure is done under general anesthesia on an out-patient basis or in the hospital it there are additional medical conditions

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast Reduction - To a C cup

+1

Yes - and it's important that you and your plastic surgeon are on the same page about this.  In general, it's ABOUT 200 grams per bra cup size, but it's less than that when you're going from a AAA to a AA, and more if from a C to a D.  It's also more if you're a larger person and less if smaller.  With this procedure (breast reduction) there is a volume reduction but you have to maintain enough tissue to support (ie, allow adequate blood supply for) the nipple and areola and, at the same time, you want to have an aesthetic shape.  Going too small could impair the blood supply and/or adversely impact the overall shape.  I would, therefore, suggest that you discuss this with your plastic surgeon and take his or her advice rather than setting your sights on a specific bra cup size.  And, finally, bra sizes vary widely from manufacturer to manufacturer; in the end, what's important is finding out what's appropriate for you, your frame and the look you'd like to achieve.  And that's a critical part of your discussion with your plastic surgeon.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction to C Cup?

+1

Yes, it is likely that you will be able to achieve your size goals after breast reduction surgery.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  Most patients, like you, wish to achieve a enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small)  very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.‚Ä®Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Breast reduction from a D cup to a C cup

+1

This is a fairly common request with breast reduction.  Sometimes patients may need to go even smaller if they are having significant symptoms of back or neck pain.  Keep in mind however that going too small can distort the shape of the breast leaving it too flat in appearance.  To go from a D cup to a C cup should be fine. Some insurance carriers will want to see a certain amount of tissue removed (usually 500gms), so if your procedure is going to be covered my insurance, discuss this in detail with your plastic surgeon prior to surgery.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Reducing breast size from D to C is commonly done.

+1

Reduction of one cup size is fairly easy and safe.  The main drawback are the incisions that are necessary to complete the operation. 

Reducing breast size with breast reduction surgery

+1

Absolutely,  it is possible to reduce your breast size and shape. However, depending on your chest diameter and breast width, you may still have lateral breast tissue that will have to be liposuctioned.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Breast reduction from a D to a C cup sounds reasonable

+1

It is typically quite possible to go from a D to a C cup, and you sound like a good candidate for a breast reduction.  You can expect to have smaller, lifted, perkier breasts after this outpatient surgery  (you go home the same day).  Recovery is typically not difficult, and women who have breast reductions done are some of the happiest in my practice.  Good luck!

Carmen Kavali, MD

Breast Reduction to a C-cup

+1

Breast reduction surgery removes excess breast tissue and reshapes the contour of the breasts so that they are smaller and perkier. I commonly use a minimal incision technique (Le Jour), eliminating the need for large scars while providing a pleasing breast contour and shape that is proportionate to the patient’s body. Your surgeon knows exactly how much tissue he or she is taking out, because it is weighed after removal.

The good news is that this procedure can be performed under local anesthesia and twilight sedation instead of general anesthesia, but some doctors still use a general anesthetic. And breast reduction comes with an added bonus: the extracted breast tissue is always sent to the lab and examined by a pathologist for signs of cysts or cancer. Having smaller breasts can take years off your appearance!

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD