Breast Reduction Exercise

If I do chest exercises and build an underlying muscle will it lift and shrink my breasts, I am a 32D and I hate that they are so big and sag quite a bit for my age ( I am 20). SO I am looking for a way to fix those problems I want smaller breasts but I also would like them to sit higher up once I get there without surgery.

Exercise Will Help Your Health

+3

This is a commom question that I get. Unfortunately, building the pec muscle does nothing for the overlying gland. However, it may help you to lose weight which may help to decrease breast size.

So after your breast reduction, which will reduce the size and elevate the nipple, you will be in phenominal shape to show off that new body.

Find a surgeon that performs a supromedial pedicle. This is a newer and better form of the breast reduction.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Exercise and Breast Reduction

+2

Exercise may help you achieve weight loss therefore reducing the size of your breasts but it will not eliminate the need for a breast lift. If you are at your ideal weight, consult with an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns. Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

"Breast Exercises" Won't Reduce the Breast

+2

There is no harm in trying breast or chest exercises, but there  is no chance they will reduce the breast or change the breast.

The breast has no muscle in it, so exercises won't influence the breast, other than your getting leaner and losing fat content. 

The chest muscle behind the breast will benefit from exercise.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Working out will tone your muscles, but not your breasts

+2
Building up your chest muscles will not shrink and lift your breasts. The only way to non-surgically reduce the size of your breast is by losing weight. Since you are young, your skin would shrink better than older skin, but it would still not lift your breasts if they are truly drooping. Losing weight can actually make the breasts look more droopy if you lose volume and the skin doesn't shrink to match.
It's no fun to be droopy at age 20, and I can understand wanting to avoid surgery if you can. Unfortunately exercising cannot achieve what you are after. Based on your description, the best way to make your breasts smaller and lift them up is with a breast reduction, which also lifts the position of your breasts. If you don't want them smaller, you can get a breast lift alone.
I would recommend meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon to see how you can best achieve the results you want, and go from there.
Hope this helps, and good luck!

Anita Patel, MD

Surgery and exercise will both help, but not without each other

+2

If you are content with your breast size and are looking for just repositioning them to a higher position on your chest then a breast lift is most helpful. It has minimal down time and works to only remove excess skin. Exercise alone will not be helpful as the weight of your breast has diminished the ligament support to your chest wall. Weight loss and exercise are helpful for tone, but not tightness. Good luck.

Khalique S. Zahir, MD
Mclean Plastic Surgeon

No, exercise will make breast sagging worse

+2

In the presence of enlarged breasts, exercise will not help reduce their size nor lift the nipples. Actually, it would cause more tissue loss from the breasts, leading to more sagging. The treatment of enlarged breasts at your age is a breast reduction or lift, which allows most young women to further enjoy exercise with less weight to carry around.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Exercise will not appreciably help sagging breasts

+2

Unfortunately your breast tissue will continue to sag even with exercise. There is not muscular support system to the breast that can be improved with exercise. The breast tissue is supported by a network of suspensory ligaments which are unaffected by exercise. Over many years with heavy breasts, the suspensory ligaments weaken the breasts becomes ptotic (drooping). The only way to fix this is with a breast lift procedure.

David Shafer, MD

Unfortunately not

+2

Hi there-

Exercise is great, and will definitely improve your overall feeling of well-being, but will not do anything to help with breasts that have a poor shape. In some women (depending on the composition of your breasts), the breasts may get a bit smaller with weight loss, but the shape will remain droopy (and this may even worsen as they get smaller).

My advice would be to achieve your desired weight and lifestyle, then find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with a lot of experience in breast surgery and discuss your goals with them.

Breast reduction patients, as noted below, are among the most happy patients we have in plastic surgery.

Good luck!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Exercise will not improve the aesthetic appearance of breasts

+2

I understand your frustration, but exercise will not improve the aesthetic appearance of your breasts. This is especially true as it relates to the degree of sagging that you have. In fact, if you experience weight loss from your exercise regimen, your sagging could worsen! This is because the skin envelope is already stretched and with breast volume loss, the breast will droop more. You probably do not want to focus on increasing muscle mass of the pectoral muscles as this will contribute to making your breasts appear larger in the upper poles.

So, exercise is very important for your overall health but be advised that it will not improve the appearance of your breasts. My advice is to reconsider surgery. Please seek a consultation with a board certified/eligible plastic surgeon experienced in breast surgery to discuss various surgical options with you.

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Sadly, no

+2

If you exercise and lose body fat, your breasts will shrink to some degree depending on your genetics and how much fat vs. breast tissue comprises your breasts. But as they shrink, they will also droop more if they are already sitting low. The key is where the nipple and areola are positioned in relation to the crease below the breast. If the nipple is well above the crease you might shrink and just lose upper pole fullness. If the nipple is at or below the crease already, it will stay there or even go a little lower as you lose weight.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS