How Long After Breast Reduction Surgery Are Breasts Swollen?

I had a breast reduction two weeks ago. I started at a 32F, and my doctor and I agreed that "around" a small C-cup would be better for my petite, athletic frame. I have had an excellent recovery so far; however, my breasts are still big for my size. I can even fit into a DD-cup bra. I'm a bit nervous that I will have gone through a major surgery and still have over-sized breasts. Even though my breast size hasn't decreased much since the day after surgery, could they are still swollen? If not, can this be corrected without undergoing extensive surgery again?

Breast reduction size after surgery

It takes many weeks for all the swelling to resolve after a breast reduction.  You should definitely not judge your final size after only two weeks.  I warn my patients ahead of time to expect larger breasts than they would like for the first few weeks after surgery.  

Breast Reduction and Swelling?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.
You are much too early in evaluating the results of surgery. I would suggest waiting at least 6 months before evaluation of size, shape, or symmetry of the breast. At that time, I would also suggest that you do not base your “satisfaction” with the results of surgery on a specific cup size.
Reducing breasts  further is an option;  I would suggest waiting at least one year before making this type of decision.

Swelling after breast reduction surgery.

Swelling following breast reduction can take several weeks to resolve. It can take up to 6-12 months before you see the final result in terms of shape and size.  If your breast reduction has fallen short of your expectations, additional surgery can further enhance the result, but most plastic surgeons would recommend waiting at least a year before doing any additional surgery.  Consult your own plastic surgeon about any concerns you have regarding your breast size and post -operative swelling. Good luck to you.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after breast reduction

Some degree of swelling is normal after breast reduction surgery, and it gradually resolves over the course of several months after surgery, depending on how much tissue was removed and how your body heals from the surgery. If after the healing is complete you are still concerned that your breasts are too large, liposuction may provide a less extensive method of reducing your breasts further.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Swelling after breast reduction surgery

It is common to have swelling after breast reduction surgery. Depending on the technique used for the procedure, the swelling may persist for up to 6 to 8 months. At that time, you should see your final result. If you feel that the press are still too large it may not be a question of swelling but of excess or remaining tissue. Consult with your plastic surgeon as they may recommend a small revision to your breast reduction so that you may reach your goal cup size.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Breast reduction swelling

Swelling after breast surgery is very common. This will take weeks sometimes months for all the swelling to disappear. This is all part of the healing process.

Breast will be swollen after augmentation for a few months, at least

Breast reduction results particularly those of large reductions usually take several months to show themselves. Initially things look "tight high and swollen." On the reduction target, did your surgeon really say he could take you from an F to a small C cup? You might want to talk with him about this again.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Way too early to tell after breast augmentation

Ashley,

You should be communicating frequently with your plastic surgeon. He or she will be able to estimate for you how much swelling remains in your breasts, but after two weeks, you're certain to have quite a bit.

As Dr. Placik mentioned above, this swelling can last months.

Give it some time! The patient satisfaction rate after breast reduction is among the highest of any plastic surgery patient.

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon

Breasts can remain swollen up to 9 months after augmentation

There are studies and special volumetric cameras and imaging devices that have shown that the breasts may remain swollen, approximately 10% larger, for up to 9 months after undergoing breast augmentation surgery.

Breast Reduction and Post operative Swelling

Bruising and swelling following breast reduction surgery can take weeks to months before achieving a more stable final result. Most of my patients will experience significant swelling for at least two weeks following breast reduction surgery. The breasts  after reduction surgery typically begin to settle around one month and by three months post operation the breasts seem to have settled into a more consistent position and size.