How Long After Breast Reduction Surgery Are Breasts Swollen?

I had a breast reduction two weeks ago. I started at a 32F, and my doctor and I agreed that "around" a small C-cup would be better for my petite, athletic frame. I have had an excellent recovery so far; however, my breasts are still big for my size. I can even fit into a DD-cup bra. I'm a bit nervous that I will have gone through a major surgery and still have over-sized breasts. Even though my breast size hasn't decreased much since the day after surgery, could they are still swollen? If not, can this be corrected without undergoing extensive surgery again?

Swelling after breast reduction surgery.

Swelling following breast reduction can take several weeks to resolve. It can take up to 6-12 months before you see the final result in terms of shape and size.  If your breast reduction has fallen short of your expectations, additional surgery can further enhance the result, but most plastic surgeons would recommend waiting at least a year before doing any additional surgery.  Consult your own plastic surgeon about any concerns you have regarding your breast size and post -operative swelling. Good luck to you.

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after breast reduction surgery

It is common to have swelling after breast reduction surgery. Depending on the technique used for the procedure, the swelling may persist for up to 6 to 8 months. At that time, you should see your final result. If you feel that the press are still too large it may not be a question of swelling but of excess or remaining tissue. Consult with your plastic surgeon as they may recommend a small revision to your breast reduction so that you may reach your goal cup size.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Breast reduction swelling

Swelling after breast surgery is very common. This will take weeks sometimes months for all the swelling to disappear. This is all part of the healing process.

Breast will be swollen after augmentation for a few months, at least

Breast reduction results particularly those of large reductions usually take several months to show themselves. Initially things look "tight high and swollen." On the reduction target, did your surgeon really say he could take you from an F to a small C cup? You might want to talk with him about this again.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Way too early to tell after breast augmentation

You should be communicating frequently with your plastic surgeon. He or she will be able to estimate for you how much swelling remains in your breasts, but after two weeks, you're certain to have quite a bit.

As Dr. Placik mentioned above, this swelling can last months.

Give it some time! The patient satisfaction rate after breast reduction is among the highest of any plastic surgery patient.

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon

How Long After Breast Reduction Surgery Are Breasts Swollen

Thank you for your question.14 days is too early in your recovery. Your breasts will change over the next few weeks. Final results take 6-12 months. Discuss your surgery and concerns with your Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction and Post operative Swelling

Bruising and swelling following breast reduction surgery can take weeks to months before achieving a more stable final result. Most of my patients will experience significant swelling for at least two weeks following breast reduction surgery. The breasts  after reduction surgery typically begin to settle around one month and by three months post operation the breasts seem to have settled into a more consistent position and size. 

Swelling after Breats Reduction

Two weeks after breast reduction you most certainly have some swelling that will subside with time.  Most of your swelling should go away by 3-6 months.  You would want to wait at least that long before pursuing surgery to further reduce your breasts if you still think it is necessary at that time.

Samir S. Rao, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after surgery

You are still early on in your recovery so swelling is definitely affecting your results. Please wait a few months for the swelling to subside, as it can take this long. 

Still Swollen at 2 Weeks

At 2 weeks you are very early after surgery to judge the outcome.  However, it may not be possible to go all the way down to a C cup from an F cup. There are limitations based on the amount of tissue that must be preserved to maintain circulation and sensation to the nipple, and allow for healing of the skin. It is best under these circumstances to tell your board certified plastic surgeon that you would like to get as close to a C cup as possible, and let them reshape your breast at the time of surgery to the size that is most appropriate based on your anatomy. Then you will get the best breast shape that can be achieved, and maximize the chances of a risk free recovery!