Breast Lift versus Breast Augmentation

At what point do you know if you need a breast lift vs breast implants (or both)?

My Breasts Have Fallen and They Can't Get Up - Augmentation or Breast Lift

Patients who I see in consultation for drooping breasts (ptosis) or volume loss after pregnancy (pseudoptosis) almost always have one very important question. "Can my drooping be corrected with just implants or do I need a lift".
Here is the answer based on what I look for and ask each patient in my practice setting in Sarasota, Florida.
Implants alone will correct drooping when:
  1. Breast drooping is mild
  2. The nipple is still near the center breast and does not point downward
  3. There is some visible skin beneath the nipple/areola when looking at the breasts straight on.
  4. The patient is okay with being at least a cup size larger
A breast lift (with or without an implant) is better when:
  1. Breast drooping is moderate or severe
  2. The nipple is at the bottom of the breast or points downward
  3. There is no visible skin under the nipple/areola when looking at the breasts straight on.
  4. The patient is already a C or D cup breast size and doesn't want to be larger
  5. The areola is too large and the patient wants it reduced
I also do a series of breast measurements to make sure they confirm what I believe from my observations and questions.
  1. If there is a long distance from the nipple and areola to the crease beneath the chest (more than 7 cm stretched skin, about 21/2 inches) a breast lift is often needed.
  2. If the patients breasts are large and pendulous a lift or reduction may be needed.
I also show the patient photographs of a spectrum of breast scar present after a breast lift in order to check their tolerance for this scar. Most patients are surprised how little the scar shows and are okay with proceeding. If the patient really needs a breast lift, but is concerned about the scars, I will suggest they wait on surgery. In time the breast appearance problems will usually outweigh their concern about the scars.
I use implants in combination with a lift when:
  1. The patient wants to be larger in addition to being less droopy
  2. The patient desires to maintain projection and roundness of the breast mound
  3. The drooping is severe