Stop Exercise Regimen Before Breast Augmentation?

Is it advisable or required that I cease my exercise regimen prior to my Breast Augmentation?

Exercise and Breast Augmentation

You do not need to stop your exercise before the surgery but you will need to stop for about 4 weeks after you have your implants.

Some surgeon want you to stop for about 2 weeks after your surgery and some want you to hold off for longer, there is no real formula but I choose 4 weeks to be on the safe side.

Better to refrain the day before

Exercise is greatly beneficial to general health, but it’s important to refrain from vigorous activity the day before. However you should ask your surgeon for their advice as they may have different guidelines. 

Exercise and Breast Augmentation

Beauty really does begin from the inside. Living a healthy lifestyle will not only make you more attractive but will help in times of stress-like surgery. I recommend to all patients that they should continue their normal exercise routine up to the time of surgery. If you don't exercise then don't start. If you run every day then continue but ease up the day before surgery so that you're not too hydrated. After surgery will be up to your surgeon.

Breast augmentation preparation

You do not need to stop exercising prior to breast augmentation. You will need to stop after the procedure in order for the new implant to settle into the new pocket created during the surgery. That varies from 2 to 4 weeks, depending on your surgeon's preference. Exercising is very important form multiple other reasons and should not need to be stopped preoperatively. Good luck with your procedure.

Sirish Maddali, MD

No!

Hi,

Thank you for your question!

No, it is not necessary to stop exercising before your surgery. You will just want to make sure you don't over do it. After surgery is a different story. You will have to put exercising on hold for up to 4-6 weeks.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Exercise as much as you want BEFORE surgery

As others have mentioned, you may exercise as much as you desire prior to surgery. After surgery, depending on your surgeon's preference, you will have to refrain from strenuous activity for 2-4 weeks. The reason for this is the fear that delayed bleeding can still happen with exertion during this interval. If a significant amount of bleeding were to occur, it could result in a hematoma, which is collection of blood which would require surgical drainage.

Minimize or refrain from pectoralis bulking exercises prior to breast augmentation

Generally, the pecotralis major muscle is the primary muscle of concern when placing implants submuscularly.

Excercise can enhance the blood supply of muscles.

If you are partaking in an exercise regimen that promotes bulk of the pectoralis muscles: bench press, wide stanced push ups, pec deck, etc, I would advise stopping these for 2-3 weeks prior to surgery to let them relax and atrophy a bit. However, that is just my opinion based on anectdotal experience.

Go ahead and exercise before surgery

Any activity that keeps you healthy is great. Before surgery you have no restrictions for physical activity so go ahead and keep your exercise routine. However, make sure you discuss with your surgeon if you are taking a lot of supplements or other OTC medications that can have adverse effects after surgery. Of course, after surgery you will have activity restrictions which your surgeon will review with you. Keep up the healthy lifestyle.

Let the pectoralis muscle relax

I agree with the answers you have gotten from other surgeons but I would add that exercise is okay but I would try not to do a lot of lifting or toning of the chest muscles. If you bulk up the chest muscles it will make the surgery tighter and more painful. Let these muscles go soft.

Go ahead and exercise but lay off of the chest exercises.

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

No, but you'll need to take it easy after the procedure

There is no need to slow down your exercise regimen before surgery, but aftewards, you will need to modify your activities for at least 4 weeks after surgery (sometimes as much as 6 weeks depending on your procedure and the surgeon who performs it).

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS