How Does Breast Lift Wth Areola Reduction Effect Breast Feeding?

Will getting a Breast Lift and areola reduction hinder my ability to breast feed or will it cause loss of nipple sensation?

Breast Lifting And Breast Feeding?

+1

Theoretically, any type of breast operation has a potential for decreasing the chances that a patient will be able to successfully breast-feed. The  more extensive the operation the greater the likelihood that milk ducts  will be involved in that the patient will not be able to breast-feed.

Unfortunately, it is hard to know what percentage of ladies are  not able to breast-feed after the breast surgery  because some patients are not able to breast-feed without having had any type of breast operation.

Similarly, loss of sensation is a potential risk associated with breast surgery.  The frequency that loss of nipple sensation is seen will depend on exactly what procedure is performed.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastliftaug.htm

Breast lift and breast feeding

+1

Any patient that has surgery on the breast whether it is a reduction, lift or augment may have some breast tissue divided which can impact the amount of milk volume produced.

Nursing and breast lift (mastopexy)

+1

From a legal standpoint, anything is possible and you must be willing to accept inability to nurse. If not, you should defer surgery until completion of nursing. However, in reality, the likelihood of nursing interference  or loss of nipple sensation will be directly related the to extent of the procedure.

Breast feeding and sensation after augmentation mastopexy

+1

It is generally the case theat an augmentation with or without a breast lift will not have a negative effect on breast feeding or sensation.  Some temporary numbness may occur but will usually totally resolve.  You didn't mention if you had breast fed before so we don't know your own capacity.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsugery.com

Swelling decrease after Smart Lipo treatment

+1

After reading the previous expert posters, I have to say that even if there is only a 15% chance of losing the sensation or being able to breast feed you should seriously consider not doing this operation. I say this because if you are asking this type of question, you must have real concern. Why not wait til you are finished having children than consider this operation. Regards.

Possible to breast feed after breast lift

+1

The ability to breast feed will depend on intact ductal tissue through the nipple proper. Breast lift will most often maintain the normal structure and sensation to the nipple. There is a risk, though a small one, that breast feeding will be affected by the breast lift, and even more so for breast reduction. Nipple sensation, as well, can be affected by breast lift though again rarely so. If breast feeding will be important to you in the future, your surgeon should be informed, as the procedure can be modified to lower the risk. If breast feeding is very important to you, consider a delay until you have completed your family.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/breast-lift

Breast Lift and Breast feeding

+1

Breast lifts and reductions will almost always reduce the size of the areola, as well as raise it.  There is a small to moderate chance that you will not be able to breast feed after either procedure (~15%).  This is not due to teh size reduction but rather to nerve or breast duct injury.

Breast Lift, nipple sensation, breast feeding

+1

A breast lift and areola reduction removes only skin to tighten and shape the breast.  Therefore, it should not affect nipple sensation and breast feeding long term.

However, if you have never breast fed, there is no way to know if you can, regardless of this surgery.

Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

How does breast lift affect breast feeding and nipple sensation?

+1

Hi there-

While any surgical procedure on the breast carries some risk of limiting a woman's ability to breast feed a baby in the future, as well as of losing sensation in her nipples, the risk for breast lift is very low for both.

Web reference: http://www.DrArmandoSoto.com

Talk to your surgeon

+1

I would let your surgeon know that you intend to breastfeed as that may impact his or her treatment plan. Just as an example, if you are having a lift with an implant, I would likely not put it in a subglandular position (over the muscle) for fear that it might impact your breastfeeding ability. A lift alone will likely not interfere with breast feeding but, do let your doc know.

Munster Plastic Surgeon