Breast Lift or Breast Reduction Surgery for 21 Year Old?

Hello. I am a healthy 21 year old and had a two-part question. I am considering either Breast Lift or Breast Reduction surgery.

My breasts have always been saggy, but in recent times are getting worse and taking on a "teardrop" like shape/losing volume and really stetching at the beginning of my breast.

Which procedure may best suit my needs? Should I wait until after I have children? (I was considering pumping, instead of feeding (future) baby directly from me) Thanks!!

The Ultimate Breast Lift/Reduction is a new option

+2

The Ultimate Breast Lift/Reduction was developed using engineering principles to elevate and support the breast other than just skin. This new technique reshapes a woman's own tissue to form an internal bra that is then attached permanently to the chest muscles. Standard techniques rely on skin to be the only means of support for the newly formed mound. And as every woman knows-this is simply not enough! With the Ultimate Breast Lift, the forces of gravity are opposed. Breasts are lifted higher than other lifts achieving upper pole fullness without the need of an implant. An added benefit of this new technique is that the vertical scar is NOT needed. The final result is a firm, perky, natural appearing breast with minimal scars. It's worth looking into.

Dr. Horndeski

Texas Plastic Surgeon

+1

A breast reduction and a breast lift are the same except with a reduction you are making the breasts smaller. Having children may affect your surgery long term but this is a decision you and your PS should make. You should be able to breast feed but no guarantee. 

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lifting or Breast Reduction?

+1

Breast lifting and breast reduction surgery are similar in that both  operations will raise the position of the breasts  on the chest wall;  In other words, both operations do lift the breasts.  If your goal is to decrease the size of the breasts as well,  then breast reduction surgery is indicated. During breast reduction surgery breast skin, adipose tissue, and breast tissue is removed thereby reducing the overall size of the breasts.

Yes, pregnancy can bring about changes to the breasts  that may require further surgical intervention;  if you are able to wait until after pregnancies and when you have reached a long-term stable rate you will minimize the chances you will need additional surgery.

Timing of the operation will depend on the patient's life circumstances. In general, it is best to do these procedures ( like all other elective body contouring the stages,  when patients have reached their long-term stable weights.  In doing so, improve the safety of the procedure and minimizes the need for further surgery ( in the event of weight gain/loss after the breast procedure).

Breast lift and reduction are really the same operation

+1

Yes, your description makes me think you would likely benefit from a breast lift/reduction.  A reduction is also a lift.  It turns out that a lift is also a reduction (it reduces the lower pole of your breasts).  They are really the same operation.  In a breast "reduction" we usually just take out more breast tissue.  The optimal technique is the vertical technique.  The inverted-T technique produces an unflattering boxy shape and excessive scars, although it is still in use.  The "donut" technique that removes tissue around the areola is not very effective in treating sagging. 

I would recommend that you look at photos of results from different surgeons before proceeding.  There is quite a bit of variation in results, less than for breast augmentation, and you will see fewer examples of breast lifts posted online than augmentations.  If you are satisfied with the results you see, that is a good sign and you may feel more confident about the surgeon you select.  I've attached the relevant section of my own website.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift or reduction

+1

Your question focuses on the shape of the breasts and not size. If the breasts are too large and this is the anatomic reason for sagging, then a breast reduction may be appropriate. Simply lifting breasts that are excessively large would be a short term solution, thanks to gravity. Reduction is covered by many insurance plans whereas lift is purely cosmetic. As to having children afterwards, the timing of surgery is a personal decision and depends on how much the current shape/size of the breasts troubles you. These are definitely concerns to be discussed with your plastic surgeon during consultation so that you can make an informed decision.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast uplift or reduction?

+1

The first question, is at what age would you have children. If it is in the immediate future, it will be best to defer surgery until you have completed your pregnancies. There is no question that pregnancy is one of the great referral sources to my office. However, if the pregnancies in the future surgery may be indicated.
A breast reduction always involves some type of breast lift. Often, most procedures are combination of both. It is difficult to evaluate and give a good answer without seeing your breasts. I'm sure the surgeon will be able to help you reach your decision.

John E. Sherman, MD

Breast Lift or Reduction

+1

Are you planning on children in the next five years? If so, I would wait before having breast surgery. Pregnancy will obviously change your breasts and this may result in needing an additional surgery following your pregnancies. I often perform a breast lift with tissue removal. It all depends on the size of your breasts. Upon consultation a board certified plastic surgeon will be able to determine which procedures would best address your concerns. Best if luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1

If your breasts are quite larger, a breast reduction will accomplish both a lift and a reduction at the same time.

A breast reduction almost always includes a lift

+1
Many times I do the procedure you are talking about for the problem you are describing by doing a breast lift with a very small amount of tissue reduction. The reduction is not to reduce the aide of the breast but to improve the shape. By removing some tissue I can get the breast to have a prettier rounder shape with less fullness in the outside part of the breast.

Dev Wali, MD
Claremont Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift vs Reduction

+1

If you are happy with the size of your breasts in a bra, then a lift alone may be all you need.

However, if you feel that they are too large, even with a bra, then a reduction and lift may be more appropriate. I do not think you are too young, and you can not diet and excercise your breasts to change the current shape.

Darrick E. Antell, MD