Best Type of Breast Augmentation for Petite and Athletic Woman?

Hi, I am 5'1" tall, I weigh 115lbs. I am very healthy and active. I currently wear a 32 A bra. I have two children (breastfed). An average week for me consists of running 5x, gymnastics 1x, yoga 1x and strength training 1-2x. My doctor has suggested that with my lifestyle, I should get gel Breast Implants in the subglandular placement with 250cc. After reading everywhere, many doctors say that with such a small frame, the implant will be noticeable and I will have rippling. But my doctor says I cannot work out hard with submuscular? HELP! Afraid of golf ball boobs!

Breast Augmentation for Active Women

+4
I regularly perform breast augmentation surgery for patients who participate in body building, fitness and figure competitions. While many are initially concerned about sub-pectoral placement and the potential for distortion of the appearance of augmented breasts when the pec major contracts, I am absolutely confident that the aesthetic outcome for these patients will be far superior with implants placed under the muscle.
A pre-pectoral implant in a slender patient, especially one with well-developed muscles, looks just as you imagine it would: like a foreign object, not like a natural-appearing breast. The muscle does not have to contract for a pre-pectoral implant to look unnatural in this group of patients - it looks unnatural every minute of the day.
Achieving the ideal aesthetic position for a sub-pectoral implant requires release of part of the inferior origin of the muscle from the chest wall. I perform the minimal release of the origin of the pec major that is required to get the implant in an ideal position vertically, but also weaken the origin in the area where muscle contraction tends to displace an implant. As a result the vast majority of patients have little to no distortion of their breast appearance when the pec major muscles are tensed. Patients also do not experience any loss of function, strength or range of motion from release of this very limited part of the pec major origin. Many patients have indicated that their natural (but augmented) breast appearance has provided a significant advantage for them in competitions.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Sub glandular implants

+2

As usual, there is more than one way to do a proceedure. I have been doing implants for over 30 years and have put them over the muscle and under the muscle. I find that silicone implants look great under the breast( over the muscle) if you are athletic and exercise, under the muscle can deform the breast when you exercise or use your pecs. You only get tennis ball breasts if you develope capsule contractures. There is no right or wrong answer -- but I am usually right.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Breast Augmmentation for Petite Athletic Woman

+1
As with most if not all questions that are specific to a particular patient and situation, no one can give you an informed answer over the internet. To provide a meaningful answer to you would require a face to face discussion as well as a physical examination. Having said that, your question does raise some common questions.

In order to minimize the risk of wrinkling when using a pocket above the muscle, the surgeon must carefully choose patients who would be at low risk and use an implant to minimize the risk. Patients need adequate pre-pectoral soft tissue coverage (as determined at the examination) in order to be good candidates for a subglandular or subfascial pocket. Although it may seem otherwise, the pre-pectoral soft tissue coverage is not always related to BMI - there are petite patients who have adequate soft tissue coverage for a pre-pectoral pocket. Then one would choose an implant that is associated with a low risk of wrinlking which is to say a highly cohesive silicone gel implant; the more form stable the less the wrinkling. The link below will take you to a case of a patient who weighs 102 pounds and had a subglandular breast augmentation with a HSC+ gel implant. 

On the other hand dual plane placement (under the muscle) is not associated with a limitation of physical activities or a significant performance drop off (with the likely exception of high performance athletes). Some patients do not like or want the "implant animation" that can be associated with a dual plane pocket but it is not physically limiting.

Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon with significant experiance in aeshtetic breast surgery. I would suggest you visit with a surgeon who is comfortable using pockets above and below the muscle as well as being well versed in using the different implants available currently.

Michael B. Tantillo, MD

Breast Augmentation in Thin Athletic Women

+1
This is a very good question. There are a variety of breast augmentation options from the type of implant to use and where to place them.

Breast augmentation with a silicone implant has become the most common in the United States because it gives patients a much more natural appearance and feel than patients can achieve with saline implants.

There are several ways to perform the augmentation, as the implant can be placed through the nipple, axilla or at the bottom of the breast.

In the United States the vast majority of breast augmentations are performed over the muscle. However there are certain situations where the implant is placed over the muscle. The benefits of placing the implant below the muscle:
  • 1.More natural feel
  • 2.More natural appearance
  • 3.Less visibility of the implant
  • 4.Placing the implant below the muscle also decrease the chance that the patient will form scar tissue around the implant.

Patients that have their implant placed under the muscle can resume all of their normal activity once they have completely healed. I have many patients who athletes that have had a breast augmentation under the muscle and been very happy without any issues.

It is important to see your board certified plastic surgeon to help guide you to an implant that will give you an aesthetically pleasing breast.

Johnny Franco, MD

Submuscular

+1
I think that sub muscular implants via the armpit incision (transaxillary endoscopic) will work very well for you.  There is no reason to place the implants on top of the muscle based on your physical activity.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

+1
The majority of patients who undergo the breast augmentation procedure will be able to return to full activity without restriction, over the long-term. You may find the attached link, dedicated to patients "in competition” helpful to you. Best wishes.

Submuscular, Silicone Cohesive Gel Breast Implants For Athletic Woman

+1
Breast implants are usually placed underneath the muscles to ensure natural-looking results. But if you have to flex your muscles on stage as a bodybuilder, you may consider sub-glandular implants.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Subglandular? submuscular?

+1
I typically prefer placement under the muscle in patients with your characteristics as the muscle provides padding over the implant to camouflage it. Submuscular placement will slow you down just after surgery, but not in the long run. The best course is to make an appointment with a plastic surgeon to discuss the pros and cons of different types, sizes, and locations of implants. Good luck!

Grant Stevens, MD

Sub Muscular Placement of Smaller Liquid Silicone Implants Would be Best Option for You

+1

There is no perfect solution to your problem and compromises are inevitable.  You’re athletic and muscular, which makes distortion of your implants likely when exercising if there placed under the muscle.  You have thin soft tissue and ripples, folds, distortion, and capsular contracture are possible when implants area placed on top of the muscle. 

There is probably no right or wrong answer for this problem.  I believe sub muscular placement of smaller liquid silicone breast implants would represent the best option for you.  It is true that you might have distortion of your implants with muscle contraction, but this would probably not significantly impact athletic performance and this aspect of your life.  Smaller liquid silicone implants placed in a sub muscular position would also give the best aesthetic result. This combination would result in less rippling and a more natural breast shape.

Your situation requires a detailed discussion with your plastic surgeon.  It is important that you know your priorities and that you understand the pros and cons of your options.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Conservative Breast Augmentation for Petite and Athletic Women

+1

Greetings,

Your experienced plastic surgeon has suggested a sub-glandular  250cc. implant. 

Lean and athletic women, such as yourself, with smaller breasts can have visible augmentations. The amount of existing breast and the laxity of the breast tissue strongly influence the implant "visibility". The larger the implant, and the more the tissue must stretch, the greater the risk for rippling with a less appealing result.

Our patients with very well developed pectoralis major muscles and a small starting cup size are advised to select a pleasing, but not large, implant size for their enlargements.    We offer our athletic patients gel implants above their muscles to avoid issues of later unsightly implant displacement. In my opinion, this approach results in more consistent and pleasing results.

Hope this answers your question about having a conservative breast enlargement.

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon