Will Insurance Cover Correction of Breast Asymmetry?

I have breast asymmetry. My right one is a B cup and my left one, a D cup. Will my insurance cover this?

Insurance and breast asymmetry

+2
Thank you for your question. If the larger breast is big enough to qualify for a breast reduction under your insurance criteria, then coverage may be available for a unilateral reduction. However, insurance companies will not pay for augmentation of the smaller breast. As you may know, they cover reconstruction after mastectomy, but only based on federal legislation mandating this and do not extend the same courtesy to patients with breast asymmetry.

Insurance coverage of breast asymmetry

+2

That depends on the wording of your insurance policy. You need to look at the policy to see what the coverage of developmental and congenital abnormalities is. Some have age limits or other criteria. Changing insurance may not be an option because of pre-existing condition clauses. If you have symptoms like back or neck pain because of the condition then you would have coverage provided you meet whatever the coverage criteria of the policy are -3 months of conservative treatment,  symptoms of a 1 year duration or more etc.

Aaron Stone, MD

Insurance coverage of congenital breast asymmetry

+1

In the vast majority of instances in which I have submitted claims for congenital breast asymmetry, the benefits have been denied by the insurance company despite being supported by the patients internist, family practitioner, psychologist, and gynecologist.