Candidate For Breast Augmentation? I'm Overweight.

I lost 100 lbs but am still at 175 lbs at 5'2. My breasts got ALOT smaller and it is terrible. I am completely out of proportion now. Eventually I want to get a tummy tuck as well but I wanted to wait until I lost another 20-30 lbs. Also, due to costs and safety-I wanted to get one procedure at a time. I am planning on going out of town and was just approved for a carecredit account-which should cover the augmentation. I still need to cover out of town hotel stay. Is getting the augmen 1st ok?

Overweight and breast implants

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss.  I always recommend that my patients be at their goal weight prior to any cosmetic procedures.  Additional weight loss may alter your body in a way that could detract from the results of any procedure.  It is also important to be a stable goal weight for a few months prior to your procedure.  It is a bad idea to lose a significant amount of weight and head straight to surgery.  You mentioned that you wanted to stage your procedures for safety and costs.  I recommend waiting until your body is ready for surgery for the same reasons.  Good luck.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and cosmetic breast surgery

+1

First of all, congratulations on your weight loss. What a great effort!  Not only should you feel better about yourself but you have significantly improved your health and have reduced your risk of having cosmetic surgery. I have never seen a women who had lost anywhere near 100 pounds and did not need a breast lift at the time of getting breast implants.  You may want to have a breast lift first and then get implants when you get your tummy tuck after you have lost more of your weight.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

It would be best complete your weight loss first.

+1

There is no reason why you should not begin with a breast augmentation but I do have some concerns with your timing and your desire to "go out of town" for the procedure. If you are still expecting to lose an additional 30 lbs. this amount of weight loss can affect the implant size and or a need for a lift in conjunction with the augmentation. I would advise you to be patient and lose the additional weight before undergoing the augmentation. Otherwise you are risking a need for a second breast surgery with a larger implant and new or revision breast lift. Recognize also that breast augmentation can be accompanied with both short and long term complications. If they occur it is much more convenient,among other considerations, to have your surgeon close to home. If at all possible choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon near to where you live.

Web reference: http://www.thecosmeticsurgeryinstitute.com

Stabilize weight prior to any cosmetic procedure.

+1

In cases of massive weight loss, it is important to stabilize your weight prior to having any cosmetic surgery. This allows for safer anesthesia, more predictable results, and improved healing. Many women find they need a lift or an autologous augmentation following weight loss. An augmentation is also common. However, if you continue to lose an additional 20-30 pounds, you may find that you lose significant weight in the breasts. This weight loss could negatively impact the look of your breasts.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic surgery in the overweight patient

+1

You should not have any cosmetic surgery until your weight loss has plateaued and been stable for 6 or more months. Women who have breast surgery while losing weight are frequently unhappy with the result after they stop losing weight/the weight loss plateaus.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Elective cosmetic surgery and weight loss

+1

You have already done a great job by loosing 100 pounds!  I think that it would be wise for you to reach your target weight before having any elective surgery.  As you have stated, your body is out of proportion so with further weight loss the changes will continue.  Once you have reached your goal, your surgeon can better plan both the augmentation and tummy tuck to give you the results you want.  You will also be less of a surgical risk and may even be a candidate to have both procedures done at once.  Good luck with your weight loss.

Web reference: http://www.josephtogbamd.com

Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Considerations regarding breast and abdominal surgery

+1

You would be best served if you do lose the additional 20 - 30 pounds that you are planning on losing. That would allow you to obtain more predictable and desirable results both for your breasts as well as your abdomen. It would be your decision as to whether you have breast surgery and the tummy tuck performed together which would be more cost and time effective or have them done separately.

Photos would be helpful with regard to your breasts. Given your comments, it may be very likely that you would require a lift in addition to an enlargement.

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

Breast augmentation if overweight?

+1

There are plenty of women who get breast augmentation and are over weight.  It sounds like you are in a transition period however where you are continuing to loose weight.  I would encourage you to make sure that you get your breast augmentation when it is a good time of your life to do so.  Get down to your stable weight and make sure that the money spent will not be a financial stressor in your life.

Dr Repta

Web reference: http://aaaplasticsurgery.com

Breast Augmentation DURING Weight Loss

+1

As tired as you are with the "old" you you need to be patient in the TIMING of your Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck. Ideally, these operations should be done when you have reached or are very close to your target weight AND your weight has been stable for 4-6 months.

As you already found out, losing weight results in deflation everywhere the body has fat cells including the breast, buttocks and tummy. As the volume goes away a deflation is seen which exposed the excess skin caused by the weight gain. For better results, all sagging and excess skin need to be dealt with at the beginning rather than found after your breasts are augmented further weight is lost and sagging augmented breasts are produced.

This is important. Do not rush into it until you are at the ideal point when the results will be good and stable.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Breast Augmentation before Weight loss is OK!

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss, you should be very proud of yourself. 

Weight loss affects your breasts in a couple of ways;

1-Loss of fat tends to reduce volume. If you have lost weight and the volume has diminished and yu plan to lose more weight, then expect the volume to go down even more.

2-Loss of volume can result in a sagging breast. Implants can restore some of this volume, but quite often the sag continues. The best way to correct for a sagging breast is a breast lift - not breast augmentation. Losing more weight will only make this worse.

So while a breast augmentation may be convenient and cost efficient at this time, perhaps it is wise to wait until you have lost more weight so that the proper surgical plan can be devised.