Candidate For Breast Augmentation? I'm Overweight.

I lost 100 lbs but am still at 175 lbs at 5'2. My breasts got ALOT smaller and it is terrible. I am completely out of proportion now. Eventually I want to get a tummy tuck as well but I wanted to wait until I lost another 20-30 lbs. Also, due to costs and safety-I wanted to get one procedure at a time. I am planning on going out of town and was just approved for a carecredit account-which should cover the augmentation. I still need to cover out of town hotel stay. Is getting the augmen 1st ok?

BA candidate and Weight Loss

Once again, congrats on the weight loss.  I recommend patients have a stable weight for 6 or more months before proceeding with cosmetic surgery of any type.  This means belly, boobs, arms, or anything else.  Once you get to a comfortable weight, then consider your options.  I would imagine you need a breast lift and in the massive weight loss patient I usually perform a lift before the augmentation because the skin has lost so much elasticity.  You can do a procedure alone or in conjunction with other surgeries according to your schedule, finances, or whatever.  But without photos I cannot determine whether you need a lift and most patients i see after that much weight loss do need one.  Good Luck!

Overweight and breast implants

Congratulations on your weight loss.  I always recommend that my patients be at their goal weight prior to any cosmetic procedures.  Additional weight loss may alter your body in a way that could detract from the results of any procedure.  It is also important to be a stable goal weight for a few months prior to your procedure.  It is a bad idea to lose a significant amount of weight and head straight to surgery.  You mentioned that you wanted to stage your procedures for safety and costs.  I recommend waiting until your body is ready for surgery for the same reasons.  Good luck.

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and weight

Thank you for your question. I would not necessarily say that there is a weight restriction, but that your risk of having a complication may increase for having surgery with increased weight. If you are otherwise, healthy, then you may want visit with one or two more plastic surgeons in your area. We offer our patients a weight management program to help discuss their weight goals and history. If weight management is part of their life goals, then we may consider a weight management program before surgery to help reach their goals. This is important with respect to any body contouring procedure including breast augmentation/reduction and/or tummy tuck as the volume in the breast and abdomen changes with weight.

In addition, I do think combining your breast and abdomen procedures would be a great way to reduce overall cost and have one recovery. 

Wait until ideal weight

Once you've reached your ideal weight and have maintained it, you can consider breast augmentation. You'll also need a breast lift to give your breasts a perkier contour.

Being at a healthier BMI reduces the risks related to surgery. It will be safer for you.

Candidate for breast augmentation. I'm overweight b

Hello! Thank you for your question! Breast augmentation is a procedure often sought by women to increase size, add upper pole fullness and projection along with improve shape and symmetry of her breasts. Women who have the breast augmentation done report increased self-confidence, self-esteem, and more comfortable with her body. In fact, it has been the most popular procedure in plastic surgery in the US for the past few years. You appear to be an excellent candidate!  However, it is always recommended to get down to your ideal weight for your safety as well as to achieve the best result. 

Things to to consider during your consultation, which your surgeon will discuss with you, include implant type (saline vs silicone), shape/texturing of implant (round vs shaped/textured vs non-textured), implant position (sub pectoral, subglandular, or subfascial), incision (inframammary fold, periareolar, axillary, or TUBA), and size of implant. This can be performed with/out a breast lift, which would serve to obtain symmetry in breast size or nipple position as well as improve shape. Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory. I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width. Too large of implants for the woman often destroys the breast pocket and breast shape, thus creating an oft seen in correctable problem later.

In general, implant size does not correlate with cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size or implant size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance. Your breast width is the most important measurement.

Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Weight loss and cosmetic breast surgery

First of all, congratulations on your weight loss. What a great effort!  Not only should you feel better about yourself but you have significantly improved your health and have reduced your risk of having cosmetic surgery. I have never seen a women who had lost anywhere near 100 pounds and did not need a breast lift at the time of getting breast implants.  You may want to have a breast lift first and then get implants when you get your tummy tuck after you have lost more of your weight.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

It would be best complete your weight loss first.

There is no reason why you should not begin with a breast augmentation but I do have some concerns with your timing and your desire to "go out of town" for the procedure. If you are still expecting to lose an additional 30 lbs. this amount of weight loss can affect the implant size and or a need for a lift in conjunction with the augmentation. I would advise you to be patient and lose the additional weight before undergoing the augmentation. Otherwise you are risking a need for a second breast surgery with a larger implant and new or revision breast lift. Recognize also that breast augmentation can be accompanied with both short and long term complications. If they occur it is much more convenient,among other considerations, to have your surgeon close to home. If at all possible choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon near to where you live.

David A. Ross, MD

Stabilize weight prior to any cosmetic procedure.

In cases of massive weight loss, it is important to stabilize your weight prior to having any cosmetic surgery. This allows for safer anesthesia, more predictable results, and improved healing. Many women find they need a lift or an autologous augmentation following weight loss. An augmentation is also common. However, if you continue to lose an additional 20-30 pounds, you may find that you lose significant weight in the breasts. This weight loss could negatively impact the look of your breasts.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic surgery in the overweight patient

You should not have any cosmetic surgery until your weight loss has plateaued and been stable for 6 or more months. Women who have breast surgery while losing weight are frequently unhappy with the result after they stop losing weight/the weight loss plateaus.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Elective cosmetic surgery and weight loss

You have already done a great job by loosing 100 pounds!  I think that it would be wise for you to reach your target weight before having any elective surgery.  As you have stated, your body is out of proportion so with further weight loss the changes will continue.  Once you have reached your goal, your surgeon can better plan both the augmentation and tummy tuck to give you the results you want.  You will also be less of a surgical risk and may even be a candidate to have both procedures done at once.  Good luck with your weight loss.

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon