How Easily Will my Breast Implant Move?

I had BA 10 days ago. I had 375cc silicone implants placed above the muscle. They came out bigger than I expected. I am 5’3 125 lbs and a thin frame. I am wondering how easily they could move. Will jogging or heavy bouncing cause them to move, rotate, or bottom out?

Implant movement

+1
Please wait 3-4 months before assessing your results. By that time, your breasts will have adopted a more natural breast contour and you'll probably be able to move them around. More movement can be done with submammary implant placement. You should wear a good supportive bra anytime you are up and about, and this is particularly important when exercising. This is to minimize the rate of sagging.

Running and bottoming out?

+1
Dear blondie,Thank you for your post. I am very protective of my patients with augmentations who are runners. I recommend that they buy the athleta underwire sports bra with the front adjustable straps. My patients really like this bra for running and find that it holds them very stable. It is cupped instead of compressing the breasts together. Some patients use an additional regular sports bra on top of this for extra security. Some like it for everyday wear in the initial post-operative period. Using a regular sports bra that just compresses the breast together rather than cups that keep their shape can cause flattening of the breasts especially in the early post operative period and wearing a bra that doesn't have enough support, especially when running or any bouncing type activity, can cause bottoming out or stretching of the breasts. I would, however, wait 6 weeks before starting running.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Not likely to move

+1

Once the capsule (lining of the implant pocket) has formed the implants are unlikey to move to any significant degree.  Capsule formation begins in the first week, and the capsule is well-established by 3-4 weeks.  That is why, in my practice, we begin to remove activity restrictions and start patients on an implant massage program at that point.  I do not allow high impact activities ("jogging, bouncing") for about one month from the surgery date.  And, when high impact activities begin, it is very important that you wear a good support bra.

Though all of the above is true, occasionly we do see some shifting of breast implants.  Women at highest risk for this problem are those with thin soft tissues, very large implants, and implants placed above the muscle.  From your description, if you follow your doctor's instructions, your risk should be minimal.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

How stable the location of the implant is depends on a number of factors

+1

Regardless of what location the breast implants are placed gravity will always want to pull them down over time. Factors that affect how much this occurs include:

1) Strength of the breast tissue (breast with excess laxity before surgery will have less integrity).  The thinner the tissue the less strength it is likely to have.

2) How heavy the implant is.

3) How the breasts are supported.  ( good support, especially during impact activity will help)

Make sure you wear support the majority of the time and especially during impact activity and you should be alright.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast implants seldom move

+1

If your breast augmentation has been well done and the implant fits the breast envelope and pocket well, breast implants seldom move. Many have a concern that without a support bra, or with exercise that the implant will drift out the side, or fall under the breast. Let your implants heal and settle in for six to eight weeks and exercise should be just fine.

peterejohnsonmd

Exercising with caution after breast implants

+1

Breast implants work as breast tissue expanders as well as fillers.  By stretching the breast tissues, the implants make the breasts bigger and more round in shape.  Necessarily this process takes time.  Breast implants will make the breasts:

1. Larger and more round
  2. Usually firmer - and heavier, causing more pull from gravity
  3. Fuller in the "upper pole", the area of the breast above the nipple

The breast tissue will respond to the message of stretching and growing over time.  The kind of exercise that will give a patient the most trouble is running/jogging and weight lifting in the first 6 weeks but up to 3 months from surgery. 

Exercises that cause bouncing and jarring of the breast will send a message of stretch to the lower aspect of the breast envelope and eventually cause the implant to settle lower in position than planned.

Mario Diana, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

How much do breast implants move?

+1

You ask a question that is actually quite complicated.  There are many factors that enter into the answer.  First by going over the muscle, there will be less tendency for muscle contraction to move the implants to unwanted locations.  I restrict patients from doing chest muscle exercises for 3 months, for example,  if the implants are "unders", but if the implants are over the muscle, I allow all activities at 3 weeks.  If a person develops capsular contracture, the implants won't move as much and will look less natural, for example, when jogging.  If your skin envelope is tight, there will be less of a tendency for bottoming out over the years. But if you have a "droopy" breast to begin with, there may be additional stretching that will occur as time goes on.  You ask about rotation. If you have round implants, rotation doesn't matter.  With shaped implants, however, that is a possibility.  I don't think there is anything you can do to 100% prevent that from happening. I agree with what the other surgeons have said regarding the fact that you probably still have swelling and shouldn't judge the size just yet. Be patient and you will probably be very happy.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Implant Displacement With Exercise

+1
Large breasts with or without implants require a supportive sports bra with high impact exercise. You should avoid running or jumping for the first six weeks. Hope your augmentation meets your expectations!

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Recommend three weeks until normal activities

+1

I recommend waiting three weeks before beginning normal activities following breast augmentation either subglandular or submuscular.  For submuscular implants it will take up to three months for the muscles to relax enough for the implants to come down in the pockets and begin to look and feel more natural.  Subglandular implants will look and feel natural much sooner.  I recommend wearing a good support bra for at least two weeks after surgery and limited activity for at least the first week.

James Tang, MD

Will my breast implants move

+1

Breast implants tend to feel rather firm and have little mobility right after surgery.  In a few weeks they will feel more natural.  I believe your question has to do with the pocket.  Once the pocket is formed, jogging  and heavy bouncing generally does  not lead to bottoming out.  The implants however will move as the breast tissue moves.  A natural C/D cup breast will bounce around with jogging.  Likewise, an augmented C/D cup will bounce around.  That's why you should plan on wearing a good sports bra when participating in these activities.  The breasts should feel and look natural, so take care of them as if they were natural.

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon