Is Exercising Changing my Implants?

I received my BA 12/16/10. Under the muscle Silicone Gel Med Profile 400cc thru areola. I was a 34A cup pre-op, nursed 2 babies so I had 0 breast tissue basically. I am very happy with my results however I am heavily into fitness & was 177lbs/5'6 one yr ago! Pre-op @ 131lbs. I got the OK from my DR to workout again and recently incorporated some strength training with weights and started push ups. I noticed some rippling starting to occur. Should I back off on the strength training b/c of this?

Fat grafting to resolve rippling effect of breast augmentation

+3

Rippling after breast augmentation is due to a decreased amount of your own breast tissue covering the implant. Silicone implants under the muscle decreases the chance of rippling in very thin women with little breast tissue and fat. If rippling still occurs, fat grafting helps thicken the breast tissue over the implant and decrease the amount of rippling.

Web reference: http://www.elpasoplasticsurgery.com/pages/dr-agullo

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Implants

+3

All implants ripple-saline or silicone-I agree with previos answer that the tendenvy to see rippling is increased by less coverage of breast tissue. If your implants are place above the muscle and you lose weight, the amount of rippling you see may greater than below the muscle but overall weight loss even as much as 5 lbs can contribute.  Just keep up with your f/u appts with you doctor.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Wrippling of breast implants are caused by thin skin

+3

what causes wripplinging of breast implants? basically, all implants, including silicone implants, ripple. what makes the rippling not to show is thickness of the overlying skin. The thicker the skin and the more fat padding over the implant the less you can see the wripples. so in your circumstance weight loss caused a reduction in your subcutaneous fat, which made your implants show more.

Web reference: http://www.beautifulself.com/breastaugmentation_recovery.htm

Breast Implant Rippling after Exercise?

+2

A couple of issues come to mind given your description of your presurgery situation and your current problem. As you exercise and drop body fat there is less coverage of the breast implants exposing you to seeing or feeling the breast implants more (rippling). Also, heavy exercise may gradually pushed the implants to the sides of the chest where there is less coverage of the implants;  you may begin to feel the implants more on the sides of the breasts.

Some thoughts regarding rippling of breast implants in general...Palpability  and rippling of breast implants may be related to several factors. These include the amount of soft tissue and breast tissue coverage over the breast implants, the position of the breast implants (submuscular versus sub glandular), the type of implants (saline versus silicone), and the degree of overfilling of saline filled implants. Generally, weight loss will extension weight any rippling/palpability  of the implants.  Deflation of the implants will also increase the rippling/palpability of the implant.

Correction of the rippling may involve further surgery including implant pocket exchange if possible ( sub glandular to submuscular), implant exchange if possible (saline to silicone), and/or the use of allograft to provide an additional layer of tissue between the implant and the patient's skin. Patient weight gain (if possible) may also be helpful.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastrevision.htm

Rippling after breast augentation

+2
Rippling becomes more obvious when the breast tissue is thinner. If you have lost a lot of weight, you may see more rippling. I recommend that you followup with your plastic surgeon and let him or her advise you on whether any particular exercise regimen would affect the visibility of the rippling.

Does Exercise Change Implants?

+2

Strength training that decreases your breast fat content will sometimes uncover rippling of the implants. Your physician is best equipeped to determine the cause of the rippling and discuss it with you. I would recommend a reconsultation.

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Submuscular Breast Augmentation and Working Out

+2

As mentioned previously, in the upper parts of your breast your implants are covered by the muscle, fat, and skin.  Usually, it is the loss of the fat as part of weight loss that will make your implants more visible over time (less coverage).  We can reduce your implant visibility and rippling by lipo-suctioning fat from other parts of your body and injecting it under the skin in the area of rippling/implant visibility (fat grafting).  Strength training may affect your implants by pushing them lower on your chest and to the sides of your chest (a down and out deformity).  This is due to the pectoral muscle pushing the implants to the area of least resistance.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Implant rippling visibility

+2

Increased visibility of implant rippling can be because of two causes:  First is loss of overlying fat (and you did mention that you are working out and thus you'd loose some fat).  Second would be loss of implant volume such as in a leak or rupture.   If you are concerned you should see your plastic surgeon again.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Rippling of breast implants following exercise

+2

You have had the breast augmentation operation that will result in the least amount of visible rippling: silicone gel implants placed under the pectoralis muscles.

However, all implants ripple to some extent. If you are developing increased rippling it is likely because you are losing body fat (including some breast fat) and there is less of YOU to conceal your implants.

I generally advise my patients to try to forget they ever had the operation, and to do the activities they want.You can almost certainly hide the rippling when you need to with appropriate clothing.

Web reference: http://www.vancouvercosmeticsurgery.ca

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Exercising with breast implants

+2

Exercise will not harm or change your breast implants, thought submuscular implants will move as the muscle is flexed firmly over the surface. You can do push-ups and strengthen the chest or any other exercise you wish without any harm. The ripple you now see is related to the thin cover over the implant and you don't have to alter your routine.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.