Is Keloid/hypertrophic Scarring Linked to Capsular Contraction?

I had my daughter by c-section and as a result have some keloid/hypertophic scarring. Does this mean that i am more prone or likely to have capsular contraction after a breast augmentation?

Capsular contracture

+1

to my knowledge, there is no link between keloiding and capsular contracture.  If your breast has gotten hard over time, it may be due to scar tissue that formed around the implant.  Capsular contracture is progressive.  Patients usually notice capsular contracture when the implants become hard.  It can also cause distortion of the implant as well as give pain.  You should see your plastic surgeon to see whether you would need implant exchange with capsulectomy.

Scars and capsular contractures

+1

Your c-section scar looks more hypertrophic than a keloid in the photo.  I do not know of any associatin between capsular contractures and  keloids.

Keloid scars and breast augmentation

+1

No direct correlation exists between keloid scars and capsular contracture around breast implants. Because your daughter developed a keloidal scar does not mean you will definitely develop one with a surgical incision, although you probably have a higher possibility. This would affect the scar on the external skin at you incision site, not the internal breast capsule.

David A. Bottger, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation, Breast Enlargement, Breast Implants

+1

The C-section scar can be revised.  Try to have it revised and see how it looks.  Having a capsular contracture is not related to the scar on the skin.  It most likely has to do with sub clinical infection and bio-films.  IF you want to have breast augmentation its a different issue. 

Jay H. Ross, MD
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Surgical scarring

+1

Your photo shows a hypertrophic scar of the skin due to tension and or movement along the scar line prior to the scar being fully mature. Capsular contractures are due scar tissue formed around implants deep to the skin that then contract around the implant. They are in different layers of tissue and the pathophysiology of the scars is different. They will even look different under the microscopic as the capsule causing severe contracture will contain muscle like cells.

Aaron Stone, MD

Capsular Contracture Unrelated to Hypertrophic or Keloid Scarring

+1

There is no established relationship between capsular contracture and hypertrophic or keloid scarring. By your picture, you have a hypertrophic scar from a C section. These scars can sometimes become prominent due to high tension at the incision.

Derek Lou, MD

No links between capsule contracture and keloid scar

+1

There is no known correlation between hypertrophic scar and keloid scar formation and capsular contracture with breast implants. You should carefully consider the approach to placing breast implants so the scar is least likely a concern to you.

peterejohnsonmd

Linkage of Hypertrophic Scarring to Capsular Contracture

+1

No one knows exactly what causes capsular contracture.  I have personally never noted a relation between the two nor am I aware of any studis which link the them.  If you have a history of hypertrophic scarring or keloid formation, you would be at an increased risk of developing these in the areas of your cutaneous incisions.

John Whitt, MD