When Should I Get Botox Re-touch?

I had Botox around the eye area for the first time two months ago. My concern now is, how am I going to look as it wears off. Will it be a gradual, slow return to the way my skin was before I got the injections?

Will I have time to get re-injected without anyone knowing or when three months is up should I just have it topped up any way? Thanks in advance for you help. Worried first timer!

Botox Frequency

+2

Thanks for the question -

If your goal is to not have any time where the wrinkles begin to come back then you should look at getting Botox every three to four months. The effect may last longer but typically the facial muscles treated with it begin to recover their pre-injected function levels around this time.

4 months or so

+1
It will be a gradual, slow return to your previous look, so your wrinkles won't all come back at once. You can probably schedule your next treatment at about 4 months after your previous one. That should be sufficient in maintaining your improvement.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Botox treatment frequency

+1

Depending on your age, Botox has a tendency to last longer in younger individuals but wear off faster in older individuals.

Therefore, in patients 45 and younger, I advise treatement every 4 months unless they request more frequent injections based on recurrence of muscle activity and lines. In paitents 45 and older, advise treamtent every 3 months.

Every Three Months or Longer

+1

You will notice increased movement of the facial muscles that underwent Botox and then there will be slow return of the lines that caused you to have the procedure performed originally. Having the Botox done before this stage is not truly beneficial.

Interestingly, I had two patients come in today for Botox who have been coming in regulary for the past 3 years. I noted that in the forehead region of both women, I needed to put in much fewer units into the forehead and glabellar that I needed to at the beginning. Plus they are spacing out there visits to every five months. This corroborates the work of Dr. Kane that Persky alluded to above.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Gradual wearing off

+1

Usually around three to four months you will notice that wrinkles start to return slowly.  When you start to be unhappy with the appearance simply schedule a touch up.  You have plenty of time.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Get Botox re-injection when you can make the wrinkles again

+1

As the Botox wears off, you will notice that you've regained movement in that area and can reproduce the same wrinkles that you had before you got the Botox the first time. When you have wrinkles that you can reproduce with smiling, that would be the perfect time to get reinjected.

Doing Botox over time will increase the time between reinjections for you. I believe this additive effect is due to the fact that the muscles become weaker and weaker as you stay current with your injections. At some point, they won't need as much Botox and not as often in order for you to keep getting good results.

Enjoy your Botox!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Botox...Optimal Frequency of Treatments

+1

Hi Maz,
If patients keep up with their Botox treatments every 3 months for about 2 years, and keep their muscles from returning to function for that time period, studies have shown that the muscle weakens and patients need their treatments less often and with lower units to maintain their look. An added benefit is improved skin tone and texture.
Michael Kane, M.D. of NYC has presented impressive photographs of patients who followed a protocol of having injections every 2 months or so for two years.
Good luck and be well.
Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Try every 3 months

+1

I have patients who fear the same thing, especially in the crows feet region. Because results in this region sometimes do not last as long as the forehead, patients usually come in for treatment about every 3 months. Treating every 3 months should keep your results at general baseline of improvement.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Followup Botox injections

+1

Dear Maz,

No need to worry.  Effects of Botox wear off gradually, not all of a sudden.  When you notice the effects beginning to wear off, you can return to your doctor for another injection.  You may find your second round of Botox lasting longer than the first.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist