Is Botox Really Meant for You to Look Younger?

I was really excited two weeks ago because I was getting botox done for my eyes. I am disappointed that it did not make me look any younger at all! I am going back for a 2 week follow up but expect not to get instant results like I was told. When I look at before and after pictures the results look excellent and people with the wrinkles under the eyes look like they have diminished! They told me there was nothing they could do for my deep wrinkles underneath my eyes?! Disappointed!

Botox and wrinkles under the eyes

+2

Botox is used to reduce facial lines which are caused by muscle activity.  Wrinkling under the eyes is generally caused by loss of skin elasticity with aging, sun damage, smoking, heredity. or some combination of these.  It is not caused by muscle activity.  Therefore, Botox would not be expected to offer any improvement.  Rather, tightening the skin by removing some or a skin re-surfacing procedure would be preferred.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Deep wrinkles under the eyes

+2

For deep wrinkles under the eyes, you may need some excess skin removal. It is best to go for a consultation with a surgeon for this.

Botox Contributes to More Youthful Appearance

+2

When properly injected, Botox helps to give a more youthful appearance by reducing or eliminating dynamic lines (ie. frown lines, smile lines).  It can also improve very fine dynamic (movement-related) lines under the eyes if injected properly there.  However, it will not improve deeper lines under the eyes which would better benefit from filler, chemical peeling, /and/or lasers. If you are not happy with your treatment, I recommend you follow up with the physician who did the injections. In our practice, we offer (and recommend!) a courtesy follow-up treatment one to two weeks after the initial injections. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Botox does not treat under eye wrinkles

+2
Botox, when properly injected, does create a more youthful appearance. It can elevate sagging brows, lift the outer edges of the eyelids, reduce the severity of crow's feet, etc. However, if you have deep wrinkles or bags under the eyes, the treatment of choice would be Restylane. I don't know where you were treated, but any board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon would have a variety of fillers or lasers in his arsenal.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Botox does make you happier therefore look younger

+2

Personal story- I heard the 1st Botox lecture Dr. Alastair Carruthers gave at our derm surgery meeting and  was ready to sign up although he presented only 27 cases. I had the family frown lines. i didn't have 11's,  I had 1111!  When I worked over patients, I imagined they saw a human vulture.

I definitely think you look younger with Botox properly injected. I had a patient this week come and said she was tired of the Feb. cold and clouds, she felt depressed, " I need my Botox". She left with the knowledge that in a few days her mirror will say it's almost Spring.

Ann Lott, MD
Lincoln Dermatologist

Botox is not really good for the under eye area.

+2

Botox to the under eye area can weaken the lower eyelid and actually make you look less well rested.  Remember that these treatments are as much art as science.  Can they make you look younger?  No doubt.  However improperly performed, the effects can be very problematic.

Botox and eyelid wrinkles

+2

Botox and dysport are most effective for dynamic lines; that is, those lines that are caused by excessive movement or expression. As we age and develop more static lines of the face and eyelid area, those lines will not be improved with botox injections. A better alternative might be the use of a laser to resurface those areas. Good luck

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

BOTOX and the fountain of youth

+2

BOTOX, and it's primary competitor, Dysport, are effective in softening lines and wrinkles, but to make you "look younger" there are likely additional treatments to consider. BOTOX alone will help to temporarily relax the muscles treated, resulting in less lines and wrinkles over time. However you might be a candidate for soft tissue filler and other laser treatments to more aggressively target the lines and wrinkles.

Douglas J. Key, MD
Portland Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and a younger look

+1

Botox is injected into the muscle.  The muscle stops moving so much, and the wrinkle on top of it usually smooths out a bit.  Like any treatment, some will get a great result, and some, not so much.  It sounds like you have extra skin under the eye.  Botox is not a great tool for this.  It is a usually good tool for the area between the eyebrows.  Best to see a couple of board certified surgeons who operate on the lower lids and see what they think.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Botox purpose

+1

Botox is very effective and safe at reducing lines and wrinkles due to movement (dynamic wrinkles). This means namely the frown lines (11s), Crow's feet, horizontal forehead lines, as well as bunny lines, smoker's lines, or dimpled/wrinkly chin, or even to raise the corners of the mouth. One should look like a better version of themselves, and most studies show that people look about 7 years younger, and less angry or tired. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon