Where to Get Botox Injected for Horizontal Lip Line?

Have tried botox injections on inside of cupid's peak and on outside. Have heard mixed reviews on best place (and amount) of botox to inject. Suggestions? I am considering having surgery to permanently take care of line (ie. cutting of depressor nasi septi muscle), recommendations for doctors in Canada who do this?

Depressor nasi septi muscle can be injected with botox at the base of columella

+2

The depressor nasi septi muscle which is responsible for plunging of hte nasal tip with smiling can be injected with botox at the base of the columella.

Botox treats horizontal lip lines

+1

Botox treats horizontal lip lines. Inecting the muscle under the center of the nose, the subnasalis, with botox relaxes the muscle and reduces horizontal lip lines.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Botox for Lip Lines

+1

Vertical and Horizontal lip lines can be tricky.  I sparingly use Botox around the mouth because there is potential to affect your smile.  You can inject the depressor septi if that is truly causing your horizontal line but you will ultimately affect the tip of your nose.  If the tip of your nose pulls down, then you knock out 2 birds with 1 stone.  I typically use fillers such as Juvederm to replace the volume.  Also, another great option would be laser skin resurfacing. I would look at all of your options prior to electing surgery.  

David V. Poole, MD
Altamonte Springs Plastic Surgeon

Botox for lip lines

+1

I use Botox sparingly for lip lines because if too much is used it may cause the patient to smile funny.  I sometimes combine this with facial fillers as well.

Botox for Lip Lines

+1

It is important you explore all your options before having surgery. Fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane, done by a skillful injecting physician, can do wonderful things for most lip lines. Botox, in very small quantities (one or two units) can improve the results of the filler but is not a substitute. Don't rush into surgery.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox in lip

+1
This is a very tricky area and I generally discourage most people from Botox in the lip. Risks include asymmetry of the lip including the inability to enunciate "p" and "b" - "Peanut Butter".

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Careful, injecting botox to minimize the horizontal upper lip crease needs an expert

+1

Please make sure that you evaluate any response from a physician who is not examining you in person, my response as well, with caution. You are discussing a horizontal line, not vertical line. Some people get this when they smile. It may not be the depressor nasi muscle. Injecting Botox to minimize contraction of the risorius or zygomatic muscles could create several months of disturbing facial appearance and difficulty with eating and speech. The off-label use of Botox in this area should be done by an expert and sometimes the one unit injected in the mid cutaneous upper lip in 2 to four areas may be enough to minimize the crease...but if you are unhappy with the result, you will have to deal with it for three to four months possibly.

Ronald Shelton, MD

+1

Droplets along the vertical ridge on each side, no more than 5 units. But why not wait til after the surgery heals to see if you really need it? From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Laser resurfacing is excellent for lip lines

+1

If surgery is not an option (you need to see a plastic surgeon to determine this), laser resurfacing could be an excellent option.  Laser resurfacing can soften eliminate lines in this area.  (see examples of this in my photos that I have posted on RealSelf).  Seek out a dermatologist in your area with lots of laser experience, particularly in the use of CO2/Erbium lasers.  Take care, Dr. Groff

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist

+1

Regarding: "Where to Get Botox Injected for Horizontal Lip Line?
Have tried botox injections on inside of cupid's peak and on outside. Have heard mixed reviews on best place (and amount) of botox to inject. Suggestions? I am considering having surgery to permanently take care of line (ie. cutting of depressor nasi septi muscle), recommendations for doctors in Canada who do this
?"

You obviously have done your homework. The Depressor nasi Septi muscle bellies cause a pulling down of the nose tip and a horizontal groove across the upper lip on smiling. The only relatively easy location to hit the muscle is near its attachment to the lower anterior septum, everywhere else it runs close to other structures of the lip and it would be hard to weaken it without weakening the rest of the lip. If a few units of Botox near the septum did not work, you may be best treated with a procedure to disrupt the attachments o the muscle through a high upper lip incision.

Dr. Peter Aldea