Day 5 After Botox....absolutely No Difference in Glabella!

I had 16 ccs injected between my eyebrows 5 days ago. It is now day 5. I see nothing like the results on the BotoxCosmetic pamphlet. In fact, I can still frown just the same...with the same speed and intensity. I've heard of waiting 2-7 days for full effect...well I haven't seen ANY effect yet. I should mention that I'm only 31 and I workout about 5 days/week, but I followed my dr's post-injection instructions to a T. What gives??

Wait ten days and then revisit your doctor.

+2

I always inform my patients that Botox and Fillers are "works in progress".  If they are not 100% pleased in 10 days, they should return in 10 days for a follow up procedure. I try to be "perfect" at the first visit, but I would rather undertreat thelateral side of the eyebrows to not cause droop. It is very easy to treat your problem by injecting more Botox. We do not charge for this follow up procedure

San Ramon Dermatologist

No noticeable response from Botox

+2

You may not see any effect for at least 4 - 5 days after Botox(R) injections with a full effect usually at 2 weeks so this lack of response should not be worrisome. Botox(R) is given in "units" and not noted as "cc's" so I would interpret that your received 16 units of Botox(R) which is a fairly low dose on average and may not ultimately be adequate enough for what you would require.

I would suggest following up with your doctor at 3 - 4 weeks after the injections so he/she can reassess you and your outcome.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

No Botox Results After 5 Days?

+2

Hi Teaneck.  Although you should see results after 5 days, we do not bring our first time patients back for a checkup until 14 days.  

In addition to waiting a bit longer, it sounds like you may not have enough product.  Usually at least 20 units (not cc's) are used in the glabella.  

Finally, for deep creases, it may be required to use a dermal filler like Restylane.  If you have this sort of crease in your forehead it should have been discussed with you before treatment.  Call your injector back for a checkup and discuss all these issues with him/her.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox at Glabella

+1
Normally, Botox can take 3-7 days to start seeing results. It can take up to 2 weeks. Assuming you had 16 units injected at your glabella, that sounds conservative, but the amount injected can vary from patient to patient depending on how strong your muscle movement is. Usually 20 units are injected into the glabella region with no problems. The good news is that you can get a touch up and have more units injected if you do not see results by 2 weeks.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Day 5 after BoTox...

+1
BoTox, and all forms of Botulinum Toxin A, work by blocking the reuptake of acetylcholine at the neuromuscular junction. By doing so, it inhibits transmission of signals from one neuron to the next at whichever junction it is working on (e.g., neuro junction, sweat gland junction, etc.) The duration of BoTox is typically 3-4 months on average. It can take up to 7 days for it to take effect. If after that time, I would return to see your injector.  Thank you for the question! Hope this helps!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Botox not working at 5 days

+1

A unit of Botox is a unit of efficacy not a unit of measurement.  Every patient will need a different number of units to effectively weaken the corragator muscle to decease the vertical creases between the brows.  If you get no result at 14 days then you will need a dose adjustment.  Botox is not an exact science.  

Botox takes about 10 days to see the full effect

+1

It can take ten to twelve days to see the full effect of your Botox treatment.  If you are not happy with your result at that time, see your injector for assessment and possibly more Botox.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox timing

+1

Botulinum toxin (Botox) has a variable onset in different patients.  Typically changes are noted between 3 and 7 days, however full effect can take 10-14 days.

Ronald Mancini, MD
Dallas Oculoplastic Surgeon

No Changes with Botox After 5 Days

+1

Hi,

I think you may have meant 16 units instead of ccs since Botox is measured in units.  We tell our patients to expect the Botox to start working in 3-4 days but the full result will not be apparent until 14 days.  We also tell them that if the area is not blocked to their satisfaction at 14 days, we always perform a free touch-up within a week after the 14 days.  You may need more than 15 units for your glabella.  Allergan initially obtained FDA approval for Botox to the glabella area with 20 units.  Some patients have very strong muscles such as men and may require even more such as 30-40 units.

Dr. Liu

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox starts to work after

+1

three to five days. For some people it may even take longer. The effect builds up in the first 14 days.  

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon