How Long After Botox Can I Go to a Sauna?

I recently got a botox treatment for my masseter muscle. Then I did bikram yoga 4 days after. Bikram is hot yoga and is basially like a sauna. My doctor didn't tell me to avoid the heat, I just read up on it now...I'm worried I might have lessened it's effectivity. A bikram class gets pretty hot and lasts 90 minutes. What should I do? Should I get a touch up or something? Is the botox really less effective now for me? Any guidance would be great

It will be okay

After receiving Botox injections, it is just fine to be in sauna like temperatures the next day.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

651 S. Mesa Hills
El Paso, TX 79912

Avoid exercise for four hours after Botox

I instruct my patients to avoid any heavy exercise and massaging the treatment area for four hours after Botox.  This is because of the theoretical potential for Botox to migrate to other muscles immediately after injection.  If this happens, you may get unintented effects such as eyelid drooping.  After 3-4 hrs, Botox has been completely bound to the receptors so there is no risk for further migration.  

So, after 3-4 DAYS, there is no risk with yoga or any other exercise.

Dr. Mann

Margaret Mann, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

11100 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, Ohio 44106

Sauna after Botox

I encourage my clients to not engage in rigorous activity, massage the areas or lay down for 4 hours post treatment.  Theoretically, Botox binds to the receptor site within 90 minutes.  So to go into a sauna 4 days later is perfectly fine.  

David V. Poole, MD
Altamonte Springs Plastic Surgeon

829 Douglas Avenue
Altamonte Springs, FL 32714

Botox and Sauna

There is no problem going to the sauna one day after having had Botox injections. You will be completely fine

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Martinsstrasse 17

Yoga after Botox

I usually suggest to patients to avoid exertional acitivty for about 3-4 hours after Botox injections. Doing yoga four days later should be fine.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Yoga after BOTOX

Don't worry.  Your exercise in a sauna should not decrease the efficacy of Botox.  I usually tell patients to avoid exercising or lying flat for 3-4 hours after Botox administration.  Your yoga after 4 days should not decrease the effect of Botox.  No need for touch up?

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS

4185 Technology Forest Blvd.
The Woodlands, TX 77831

You may use a sauna a few days after Botox injections

There has been no evidence that heat from a sauna will interfere with Botox injections several days after the procedure. Exercise is permitted within  several hours after the procedure by most doctors.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016

Yoga After Botox?

Hi Sydney.  We ask our patients to avoid heavy exercise for several hours after Botox injections.  The reason is that strenuous exercise can increase blood flow and (potentially) cause Botox to migrate.  

If you went to Yoga class 4 days after your injections it will not affect your results.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

23211 Hawthorne Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90505

Sauna OK after Botox

An hour after your Botox treatment, you can do most anything. The injection is placed in the muscle which is much deeper than the skin and sweat glands. I don't think you have much to worry about.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

2333 W Irving Park Rd
Chicago, IL 60618

Sauna 4 days after Botox is not a problem.

Since Botox irreversibly binds to the receptors that control neuromuscular function in the injected areas, by 4 days, most if not all of the Botox molecules are already bound to the target receptors (even though the total effect of Botox may not be completely evident for up to two weeks). Your body is 98.6 degrees, and even in a hot sauna your body tissues will be thermoregulated to that temperature except on the surface, so the Botox molecules are in an essentially unchanged environment.

You shouldn't need any additional Botox unless you see a definite difference compared to what you normally see. Relax and Om!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

4825 Olson Memorial Highway
Minneapolis, MN 55422