How Long After Botox Can I Go to a Sauna?

I recently got a botox treatment for my masseter muscle. Then I did bikram yoga 4 days after. Bikram is hot yoga and is basially like a sauna. My doctor didn't tell me to avoid the heat, I just read up on it now...I'm worried I might have lessened it's effectivity. A bikram class gets pretty hot and lasts 90 minutes. What should I do? Should I get a touch up or something? Is the botox really less effective now for me? Any guidance would be great

Avoid exercise for four hours after Botox

+3

I instruct my patients to avoid any heavy exercise and massaging the treatment area for four hours after Botox.  This is because of the theoretical potential for Botox to migrate to other muscles immediately after injection.  If this happens, you may get unintented effects such as eyelid drooping.  After 3-4 hrs, Botox has been completely bound to the receptors so there is no risk for further migration.  

So, after 3-4 DAYS, there is no risk with yoga or any other exercise.

Dr. Mann

Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

It will be okay

+2

After receiving Botox injections, it is just fine to be in sauna like temperatures the next day.

S. Ozan Sozer, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

PHYSICAL ACTIVITY, MASSAGES, YOGA, AND SAUNA - ALL OK SEVERAL HOURS AFTER BOTOX

+2

NO RESTRICTIONS SEVERAL HOURS AFTER BOTOX INJECTIONS

Botox binds to the muscle receptor sites very quickly (less than 4 hours). 

Caution to the treated sites is recommended for 4 hours post injection, as the botulinum toxin is picked up by the muscle by then.

After that,  there are really no restrictions as to the activities (rigorous activity, massaging the areas, taking a sauna, yoga) that you would like to do. 

Go ahead and enjoy your activities.

Carlos Cordoba, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Sauna after Botox

+2

I encourage my clients to not engage in rigorous activity, massage the areas or lay down for 4 hours post treatment.  Theoretically, Botox binds to the receptor site within 90 minutes.  So to go into a sauna 4 days later is perfectly fine.  

David V. Poole, MD
Altamonte Springs Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Sauna

+2

There is no problem going to the sauna one day after having had Botox injections. You will be completely fine

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Yoga after Botox

+2

I usually suggest to patients to avoid exertional acitivty for about 3-4 hours after Botox injections. Doing yoga four days later should be fine.

Yoga after BOTOX

+2

Don't worry.  Your exercise in a sauna should not decrease the efficacy of Botox.  I usually tell patients to avoid exercising or lying flat for 3-4 hours after Botox administration.  Your yoga after 4 days should not decrease the effect of Botox.  No need for touch up?

Sugene Kim, MD

You may use a sauna a few days after Botox injections

+2

There has been no evidence that heat from a sauna will interfere with Botox injections several days after the procedure. Exercise is permitted within  several hours after the procedure by most doctors.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Yoga After Botox?

+2

Hi Sydney.  We ask our patients to avoid heavy exercise for several hours after Botox injections.  The reason is that strenuous exercise can increase blood flow and (potentially) cause Botox to migrate.  

If you went to Yoga class 4 days after your injections it will not affect your results.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Sauna OK after Botox

+2

An hour after your Botox treatment, you can do most anything. The injection is placed in the muscle which is much deeper than the skin and sweat glands. I don't think you have much to worry about.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS