Best Hypertrophic Scar Treatment?

Basically, 2 years ago, I was playing football with friends, fell bad, and got this really bad "cut/gash" on my knee.

It eventually turned into a hypertrophic scar, and since then, I have gotten a number of hypertrophic scars on my body (2 small ones on my chest, 1 near my elbow, and the 1 on the knee).

Before this, I have never gotten a hypertrophic scar so its confusing. Basically, I would like to know the best way to treat these scars. I've heard the steroid injections are effective? Any creams (mederma, vitamin E pills) etc.?

Hypertrophic scars and keloid treatment

You must first distinguish between hypertrophic scars and keloids. The former generally tend to grow for up to two years but then mprove over time after that. Keloids tend to exhibit continuous growth.

Hypertrophic scars are commonly associated with wounds that exhibit delayed healing: tissue loss, healing by secondary intention, third degree (full thickness burns), etc.

IF your scars are hyperftophic, they will tendi to resolve. However, interventions which have been recommended include:

1. Pressure
  2. Massage
  3. Topical paper tape therapy
  4. Topical or intralesional steroids
  5. Topical silicone gel preparations or sheeting

Although Cocoa butter, Vitamin E, or Mederma have been touted by other practitioners, there is minimal scientific data to fully support these claims.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Scar Treatment

After distinguishing the difference between hypertrophic scars and keloids. 

I would recommend silicone gel sheets , massaging the scar, Kenalog injections. 

in extreme cases of Hypertrophic scars a scar revision can be done followed by the aforementioned methods to minimize scarring. 

Best of Luck!

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

30 Central Park S.
New York, NY 10019

Best hypertrophic scar treatment?

Hello! Thank you for the question! It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.  For hypertrophic scars, if that's what yours is and not a keloid scar, steroid injections will likely help  - to decrease the size, flatten, decrease redness/itching, etc. 

Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

8900 E. Raintree Dr.
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Hypertrophic scar treatment

• Injection of Kenalog and 5-fluorouracil into scar every 2 weeks until improvement seen  - may take up to 6-8 sessions
  • Combine these scar injections with pulsed dye laser treatment (Vbeam) every month

You will see reduction in size and thickness of scar, a softening of the scar, a reduction of the redness, improved texture and reduction of itch and pain if present.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

130 Providence Road
Charlotte, NC 28207

Hypertrophic scar treatment

My approach to hypertrophic scars include:

1. intralesional cortisone +/- 5-Fluorouracil

2. Silicone (either sheeting or liquid paint-on silicone (available as a product called ScarGuard MD))

3. Manual massage

4. Vascular laser if the scar is not only thickened but pink/red.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

10672 Wexford Street
San Diego, CA 92131

Silicone sheets, Kenolog, and compression

The treatment of a hypertrphic scar include the following:

1-Silicone sheets. Easier to use on the limbs ,however some are designed for the trunk.

2-Kenolog injection: Dilute steroid injection is an effective treatment for hypertrphic scars.The scar will flaten,become less itchy. It will still be the a scar though.

3-Compression: Works well in limbs and faces.Used more commonly in burn scars.

Hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

20301 SW Birch St
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Hypertrophic Scars and Keloid Treatment

Hypertrophic scar treatments can best be treated with a combination of lasers and intralesional cortisone injections.  The laser will be dependent on both the scar color and the pigmentation of the patients's skin. It is important to consult an expert in scar revision for the best results.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

156 East 79th Street
New York, NY 10075

Scar treatment options

Thanks for sharing.  Scars can be acquired from trauma or even after a surgical incision. Some people can be more prone to hypertrophic scarring and fortunately less commonly keloids.  Certain areas of the body can be more prone as well such as the sternum and deltoid areas.  

There are effective treatment options which may include:
  1. TIME - almost all scars will improve with time.
  2. Silcone gel or sheeting
  3. Scar massage/pressure
    1. pressure garments 
    2. digital massage
  4. Kenalog/Cortisone injections- may be repeated every 4-6 weeks
  5. Laser resurfacing
    1. Fractions CO2
    2. Pulse Dye laser
    3. IPL
  6. Surgical excision
Consult with a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon to review your options.

Raymond E. Lee, MD

1401 Avocado Avenue
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Combo therapy best for hypertrophic scars

Daily scar massage helps to mobilize and flatten the scar. Silicone gel or sheets will help to flatten scar and minimize hyperpigmentation (dark coloring) of the scar (wear daily and/or nightly for best results). Laser or IPL treatments can help minimize the pink/red pigment of the scar. Wearing SPF 30-50 is essential to prevent hyperpigmentation if the scar is exposed to sunlight. Steroid injections (1-3 treatments) at 6 week intervals as needed to flatten scar- but overuse can cause atrophic scars where the skin thins and becomes sunken down, so dont want to overdo it with the steroid.

Stephen J. Ronan, MD, FACS

3600 Blackhawk Plaza Circle
Danville, CA 94506

What is most effective treatment for scars?

I have recommended for my patients after injury or surgery. It is simple to use, inexpensive and works as well as other more expensive creams. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

1441 Avocado Ave
Newport Beach, CA 92660