Removal for Belly Button Keloid Scar?

I had my belly button pierced, but it was rejected. I have been left with a small scar, which I have been told is a keloid. Is there anything I could do to reduce the scar?

Options for Belly Button Scar/Keloid

+1
Although keloid scars always represent a challenge because of their tendency to return or resist treatments, early intervention will always work in your favor.  At Celibre, we choose a treatment plan based upon the size and color of the scar.  Oftentimes, we combine the pulsed dye laser with steroid injections - alternating each with each visit.  Visit the below link for more detailed information on treatment options.

Belly button keloids

+1

Belly button keloids are common and difficult to manage.  I have a protocol that I use that incorporates pressure, TAC injections, and possible surgery. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Keloid scar treatment

+1

Quick Answer: Keloided scars can be treated but they may return.

In our San Francisco area practice we are familiar with treating keloided scars.

The most effective way to reduce a keloid is to have it surgically removed. Doing so will guarantee the scar is gone but does not guarantee another large scar or keloid will not form in the same place. Steroid injections directly into the keloid are another option and can also be done at the time of removal or as an individual treatment.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Keloids can be treated with laser and cortisone

+1

Belly buttons often form thicker scars especially after piercing. A combination of lasers (pulsed dye like the VBeam, fractional like Fraxel or Active FX) plus injection of cortisone into the scar can greatly help. Topical anesthetic minimizes discomfort. 

Margaret Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologist